1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Rookie shell/bed questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pointreyes, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Apr 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    pointreyes

pointreyes [OP] Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5 double cab
    First off, thanks to all the info I gathered on this site, I narrowed down my ideal truck, and when the opportunity popped up, I was able to snap it up with confidence. Precisely, an '02 prerunner with only 36k, perfect carfax (retired italian guy changed the oil every 2,000 or less, had the full 100k work done at 30k, new pump, timing chain, etc...), custom leather seats in coca-cola red (I know, but hey, they're leather). For only $15,300!! Crazy.

Now I need to get a shell and I'm overwhelmed by options and especially by the prices I'm seeing. I need something with a rack strong enough for 2-3 surfboards, and occassionally a kayak (or two?). I was toying with the idea of a lumber rack over the shell, but then I saw the shells with the built-in rack. What are the pros/cons?

It's annoying that there's no rack system option for the cab, especially with such a short bed.

I also am unclear on whether the shell has to be specific to 1st gen vs. 2nd gen short beds. I'm sure this may have been covered in other threads, so if you want to point me in the right direction that would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'd love to hear some advice. Thanks!

2. Apr 29, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    ghs57

ghs57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chops
    Catskill Mts. NY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Black TRD OR xtracab 4.0L 4WD
    Pretty much stock right now
    I have A.R.E. shells on both trucks. The fiberglass MX shell can not support any significant weight without an internal support for the rack - an expensive option. The aluminum shell with built in lumber rack is much stronger. I have loaded that one up with lumber many times. But it does have a weight limit which I do not recall at this minute. The MX looks much better and has more headroom, which is certainly worth considering, especially after banging your head moving around the bed.

Both of my trucks are extended cabs. There is a difference in shells for reg vs extended cab. Shells for extended cabs will not work on reg cabs due to the angle of the rear window in the extended cab. But you can use a reg cab shell on an extended cab, they just don't snug up to the rear window. My aluminum shell is a reg cab shell.

I bought the aluminum shell used off cl, and my MX came with an older tacoma I bought which was bought back due to frame rust. I like them both, and they add versatility to the truck. They both remove easily, and I often do this by myself, but another person makes it easier.

Good luck with the truck.

3. Apr 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    pointreyes

pointreyes [OP] Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    I should have mentioned mine's a DC. The short bed was the sacrifice I made, which is probably why it's so hard to find a used shell.

4. Apr 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
  5. May 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    pointreyes

pointreyes [OP] Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, that thread has some good info.
    I'm a bit surprised there's not more in-depth coverage of shell/rack options somewhere on here, especially considering some of the topics I have seen flogged to death.

Any other suggestions of where to find out about my options will be greatly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top