1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shock Absorber: What have I done?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by oh no not again, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Apr 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    oh no not again

oh no not again [OP] Member

Member:
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Regular 2.4L
    Hello all,

I just replaced my front-right shock absorber (ran out of time for second one).
    So now I'm driving the quarter mile back to my house and I hear this deep, deep groaning (almost grinding) sound coming from under the truck as I drive :eek::eek:. Didn't go faster than twenty mph but it definitely got more pronounced as my speed increased.

The whole fix went without much of a hitch. I tightened the lower bolts to the recommended specs in the Hayne's manuel, and the upper bolt I tightened to about 18 (per Hayne's- but my torque wrench was useless as it only uses sockets).

Is this thing just settling or did I do something terrible?

Thank you for your time. :eek:

2. Apr 30, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    Freki

Freki Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    99 4 banger
    I can't tell you what's wrong with yours but I just did mine this weekend and haven't had any problems so I'll tell you what I ran into and what I did.

In order to get the new assembly in I had to put a jack between the upper control arm and the wheel well. Once I got it in though the control arms were all screwy so I put a jack between the ground and the lower control arm which compressed the shock and put the control arms back into place.

Also I definitely torqued way more than the specs. I had to use a pipe for leverage to get the old ones off so I used the same pipe to put the new ones on.

I'm a newb but hopefully it helps.

3. Apr 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Did you put in the exact same diameter shock? Could the shock body be hitting the spring when it compresses?

Products Discussed in

To Top