1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Suspension Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NOLA ItsNotOva, May 1, 2014.

1. May 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    I've finally saved enough money to finally get some new, much needed suspension for my truck. I've been looking around and see that Bilstein 5100's are popular. I want a slight lift so the adjustable ones would probably be the ones I will end up getting. Which coil springs do you guys recommend to go along with the Steins? Also, what leaf springs do you recommend? Is there a kit I could buy and what extras would I have to get? Such as spacers or something like that. I'm a newbie to suspension so any suggestions is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. May 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    Mulepadre

Mulepadre Mulepadre

Member:
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2003 Std Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leaf Springs, JBA UCAs
    I just replaced my coil overs with Bilstein 5100s and Old Man Emu 881 springs for $366.
    I have the same lift as with my prior AllPro Coil Overs and as good a ride at almost half the price.
    Send me a pm if you want more info...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. May 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    toastyjosh

toastyjosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern New mexico
    Vehicle:
    95 dark green taco(sold), 2005 chevy 2500HD duramax
    Get the 5100s, then go to rock auto look up 4runner springs for a 99. 16 in wheels.
    the spring rate is like 595. Should give a 2 in lift, + there 60 bucks.

4. May 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    How much lift is that?

5. May 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    Mulepadre

Mulepadre Mulepadre

Member:
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2003 Std Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leaf Springs, JBA UCAs
    I would say 2-1/2".

I say this not from measuring but deduction.
    Last month when I put these new struts on I originally had 1/2" spacers on top of the struts as I was not sure how much lift this setup would give me with the 100lb bull bumper in front.
    The result was that I must have had at least 3" because in test driving the upper ball joint spindles would crash into the springs when the suspension fully extended over big bumps.
    Common opinion on this forum and elsewhere is that 2-1/2" is the max lift that stock upper control arms will handle before crashing the springs.

You may not want to lift your truck that high, I do not know.
    But here is some information you will need to know if you want to consider going higher.

In the foto below I indicate what happens when the strut is too long for the stock upper control arm to handle.
    The upper control arm attaches to the upper ball joint held by the spindle (circled). When the suspension over extends due to excessive strut length, the control arm swings downand and jams the ball joint/spindle ass'y into the spring.

[​IMG]

One alternative solution some off-roaders are doing if they want more than 2-1/2" of lift is to limit the travel of the shock with a heavy strap between the lower control arm and the top of the strut. This limits the suspension from over-extending.

The other more common option is to buy expensive after market upper control arms that have a built in camber or ball joint to extend travel of the control arm without causing the spindle to hit the springs.
    But this will take you back much more than the price of new shocks and springs.
    BTW all this assumes that you want to stay away from the cheap lift kits on the market, which is what everyone will tell you.

[​IMG]

6. May 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    This question has been asked on here literally thousands of times lol

Anyway, most people have Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs and any AAL. I use ToyTec's AAL and it's great. Spacers are crap.

Products Discussed in

To Top