1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head Gasket diagnosis opinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DSMJRV, May 2, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    My neighbors 2002 2.7l died on him driving up to big bear. Local mechanic told him it was the timing belt.. derp.. so he gets it towed home and the radiator is cracked its out of water and there is no oil on the dipstick.. its got 275k on it.

he gets it home, fills it with water and tops off the oil... starts right up! But its squirting water like a hoe.. over all it runs well and there is no water in the oil and no white smoke out the tailpipe..

I run a cold compression test and it goes:
    110-90-130-130

When I rev the motor with the rad cap open water shoots out but I don't see much in the way of bubbles... im really worried about that 90psi cylinder, also there was a green tint on the spark plug of that cylinder(coolant)?

personally I would start by replacing the radiator and see how it does, but I dont want to tell him to drop a 100+ on a lost cause...

is the headgasket done?

2. May 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    My guess is that the headgasket blew on that cylinder when he overheated it, and thats what cracked the radiator.. its not that bad right now but will only get worse and replacing the radiator is a waste of time and money... at 270k he should go for a full rebuild or get a new truck... consensus?

3. May 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    How did it die on him? Slowly ran out of power and shut down or ?

Regardless, he let it get nuclear hot it sounds, cracked the radiator, low oil, 2 cylinders feeding back and fourth, bad day.

Flip a quarter,,could go 3 ways.

Gasket, head, block,,or all 3 including the radiator. Hefty $100 gamble when just shooting for a gasket replace.

A machine shop needs/should look at that head to check for warpage, gasket needs to be replaced. While your there the valves, seats, guides, springs, locks and retainers need to be done or checked on there tooling. Resurface head.

Once the head is off,, the top of the block needs to be looked at very carefully between coolant passages and the webbing between cylinders for cracks. Head bolt threaded bosses need to be checked. Top of block needs a straight edge put across it to check for warpage. Resurface block.

He's at 275K and it got damn hot it sounds. Easy decision.

Find a U-pull-it and grab a low mile motor and radiator, or push pull or drag it in,,and they will make you a deal!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top