1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie question - RR Diff Lock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by quetzal, May 6, 2014.

1. May 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    quetzal

quetzal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 XtraCab SR5 TRD 4x4 5spd
    All-Pro UCAs, King 2.5 C/Os, All-Pro Expo Leafs, Bilstein 10" Shocks
    Hi,
    I just made an appointment with a private seller to go and see his '02 Taco XtraCab TRD 5sp. I'm really excited about it. I have one very important question about he 4x4. The dude is the second owner, owned it for six yrs:

1. has never used the 4x4
    2. has never engaged the eLocker

How do I check they they both work? - remember, I'm a newbie (never been off-roading before)

Thanks guys.

2. May 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    If you're stuck in a paved parking lot, checking both might get a little complicated.

For 4x4, put the truck in 4wd and make a tight turn. If it's working, you should hear your tires chirping on both sides of the truck.

Now, unless he's done the gray wire mod, the truck needs to be in 4 lo for the locker to engage. So, you wont be able to easily tell if it's engaged by sound. The only thing I can think of for that is to put the truck in 4 low, engage the locker and then jack the truck up and spin the rear tires by hand. If you diff is open, one tire will spin in the opposite direction when you spin the other. If it's locked, they will both spin in the same direction when you turn just one.

3. May 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Are you assuming his dash indicator lights are all burned out?

You can test on pavement, just DON'T turn... once you are engaged in H4 or L4. The locker only works in L4 (unless mod'ed). The locker is trickier to engage. One you are in L4 (shift into N if an automatic to go into or out of L4), then press the RR Lock button from a stop and creep forward... the RR Lock light will blink when button is pushed, but goes solid when locker is engaged. If it doesn't go solid driving slowly straight, then turn your tires ONE direction and creep forward until light goes solid.

There should be 4WD instructions on the drivers sun visor and locker instructions on the driver side door, near the window. I have them if you need them posted... the details are the same for 1st gen and 2nd gen. Just the transfer case shift lever/ button changed to a dial in '05.

4. May 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    quetzal

quetzal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '02 XtraCab SR5 TRD 4x4 5spd
    All-Pro UCAs, King 2.5 C/Os, All-Pro Expo Leafs, Bilstein 10" Shocks
    Thanks for your input fellas, this is valuable 411.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd greatly appreciate it.

5. May 9, 2014 at 1:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sure, and again this is from a second gen Taco, but the only difference is the first gen had a stick and a button for 4WD instead of the dial.

Toyota4WDCard_c357519ab187a863ca9a9f71af808731a2fff4a4.jpg

1-26-11005_89646d330ba663ef03e57ed170e65aba6fad7945.jpg

6. May 9, 2014 at 1:53 AM
    SwampRabbit

SwampRabbit Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Baton Rouge La
    Vehicle:
    02 double cab Tacoma 4x4
    When I called the dealer for my 3rd first generation 4x4, they told me the diff didnt work. When I took it for a test drive without them, I got it to go in by using some tacoma world tips (in 4L only, turning wheel, driving slow) and got it to engage. The dealer still thought it was broken. I used that as a negotiation point to get the price down.

7. May 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Please don't ever do this :bananadead:

8. May 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I disagree with the above, Just throw it in low and turn into a space while IDLEING and you will be able to tell right off the bat if the 4wd works. As for the locker, engane the locker in 4 low and listen for a little "clunk" sound out of the back and you know the lockers working, you may have to drive forward or backwards a few feet.

People are paranoid about "ruining" the 4wd and locker system on dry pavement, if you engage it for a short period and idle around while turning you will easily be able to tell if either works and wont cause any damage to anything. If you want to be extra safe go find a gravel parking lot/surface and test it out there.

9. May 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    X2 It's pretty funny to hear folks harp on this and not think twice about driving on Moab slickrock in 4wd all day long.
    Driving down the freeway for any length of time is different story.

Products Discussed in

To Top