1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake pad HELP!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by two4spooky, May 17, 2014.

1. May 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    two4spooky

two4spooky [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    New TW member here needing advise from you Toyota gurus here. Went to pick up front brake pads for my '97 Taco. Local dealership had none, nada, zip. :eek: I asked them to order the "pink" pads I had used the previously, they could not find them. *EDIT: could only order a black colored pad.* Called a few other Toyota dealers and no one knew what I speaking of, thought I had aftermarket or I was just clueless. *EDIT: they only had or could order the black colored pad.* These pink pads came in a TOYOTA box, not TRD marked. It has probably been five years or so since I last did my brakes but the "pink" pads were common and recommended by the parts department then. Online the only similar(read pink) thing I find is TRD but none listed for my truck. Question: where can I find these pads? Here is a pic of the back of said "pink" pads: [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. May 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    Are they no longer being made? The pink pads were considered a higher performance or higher friction, something to that effect. I do want a pad with similar braking performance. Would the EBC 7000 series be close? I want to keep the stock calipers and rotors.

3. May 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    Coppertone

Coppertone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB TRD OR
    I just bought some from Toyota of Dallas. Call them up.....great folks.

4. May 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    Thanks man!!! I can't believe of the four central Alabama Toyota dealers' parts departments I tried none had even heard of these. Issue unique to South East Toyota Distributers dealers? I will call Monday. Glad they are still being made. Thanks again!

5. May 18, 2014 at 2:35 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Pretty sure no one else has or not many, have never heard a pad referred to as "pink pads".. You mean by the anti squeal shit on the back of them ?? I thought you were ask about metalic,semi metalic/ composite/ porcelan types of surface material....:confused:

6. May 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    Sorry if I was not clear. I am referring to the color of the paint applied to the backing plate and outside area of the pad material. By "pink" I am NOT referring to any type of shim or anti-squeal silicone or grease. In the past TOYOTA offered two different types of O.E.M. pads for my Taco'. A less expensive lower performance pad that was painted black and a more expensive higher performance pad that was painted pink, mauve, skin colored, purplish, what ever you wish to call it(refer to the pic above). Yes, I am sure there is a difference in pad compound. I have replaced front brakes twice using the higher performance "pink" O.E.M. pads. In the past the pink was recommended by the guy behind the counter at Toyota parts department for better braking but with shorter pad life. Yesterday the local dealerships only had or could only order one type of pad, the black one.

7. May 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    Found a part number and info for my "pink" pads. [Made by Sumitomo and stamped 477-J9, 66 x 13, PS558H-FF
    Toyota Part no.04465-35290 Assy Id 477-J9 Model LC120]. Looks like they are now also used on the 2013 FJ. Off work on Monday. Will go to local dealership to see if the FJ pads are the same. WOW, what a pain in the arse to find a set of Toyota brake pads.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  8. May 18, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    :popcorn:
    Interesting to say the least, curious to learn about these pads and if the FJ pads are the same. two4spooky, please let us know what you find.

9. May 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Forget the color code thing, get a set of powerslot rotors & some lifetime Porcelan pads from O'reillys/autozone or simliar, I've had nothing but great performance from them & pretty much forget about your brakes for a long time... 1st gen rotors are pretty crappy actually, the 4 piston caliper really puts the pressure to the stock rotors & wears them out, I've had this combo for 2 years now & my pads are 3/4 life & power slots are pristene, look new still

10. May 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    I know, right? Factory brake pads for one of the most common trucks made. Who would have thought it could be so difficult.

11. May 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    And my GOOGLE fu is weak. The FJ pads are not a match, I should have caught the difference when looking. Note to self: do not try to cross reference TOYOTA part numbers via GOOGLE after drinking. Calling Toyota of Dallas in the morning per Coppertone's advise. Thanks all!

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  12. May 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    I wouldn't be too concerned with the color, but more the fact that they are OEM pads. I don't know what the current situation is at the dealers, but when I was a tech for Toyota (four years ago now), Toyota came out with redesigned pads for almost every make and model. It was strange because the pads looked aftermarket and were black, kind of like you mentioned.

Since then, I'm not sure if Toyota has went back to the "colored" pads (pink, green, etc.) but I know that they got a handful of customers who would complain, stating that the pads didn't look like the original ones.

Main thing is be sure the pads you are getting are being supplied directly through the dealer and you should be fine.

13. May 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    I did get a little wrapped up trying to find the colored pads. I probably would not have cared except I tried a set of "premium" pads once. I could have gotten better performance by trimming a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit. I removed them after about 1k miles and only used the O.E. since. I should have the "pink" pads in hand tomorrow.

14. May 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    two4spooky

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma SC 4x4 V6 MT
    LockRight locker, LineX
    I also have learned the pads are mauve not pink. :D I have been told the colored pads are O.E. pads where the black ones are Toyota Replacement parts. I still don't get this but okay. And it seems older experienced Toyota parts men know of the colored pads but the younger guys don't seem to be aware of them. And yes they are still made and stocked by TOYOTA. * But I still can't believe my closest dealer does not stock any pads for my '97 Taco'. That is just wrong. :) *

Products Discussed in

To Top