1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pulsing vibration

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smmarine, May 22, 2014.

1. May 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    smmarine

smmarine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    Ok so I posted a problem a little while back when I got my truetrac installed. Ever since having my truetrac installed, I get a pulsing vibration from 40 to about 60mph. Took it right back, and they flipped my driveshaft, and greased the u-joints. No vibes for 1 day, then they came back, just not as bad, it's actually sort of faint, but still there. I can feel the vibes in the seat, floorboard, and steering wheel. The pulse isn't in the gas pedal, but the pedal does seem to vibrate. Now in this time, I've had the front end checked and aligned, tires balanced at another shop, and the center bearing and u-joints checked by the shop that installed installed my truetrac. He says they are all fine, a little slack in the rubber of the center bearing, but nothing bad, an told me that there is nothing more he can do, as he is a transmission shop, not a driveshaft expert. I'm running out of ideas, and I'm taking a long trip Saturday. Help?

2. May 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
  3. May 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
  4. May 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Have you checked center driveshaft support bearing? Might have play? Watched video of guy shaking by hand showing excessive play. Truck was on lift but maybe you could slide under and see. GL

5. May 23, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    There's some slack in the rubber of that bearing, trans shop said he wouldn't worry about it

6. May 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    My guess is its in your diff. My brother put a auto locker in his and after install he had some vibration and had a diff shop go through it. I think his had to be re shimmed. might take it to a diff shop.

Tim

7. May 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    I brought it back to the shop I had it installed at. They said it had to be driveshaft related. Couldn't be in the diff

8. Jun 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    For an update, he basically called you a dumbass who doesn't know what he's talkin about. Even though you're not the only one that told me shimming could be wrong. There is play in the center bearing, I think I'm gonna order a new one. Also, I got under my truck last night after a big trip, and I have diff oil everywhere under the passenger side if my bed. Looks like they screwed up my axle seal as well. It's dripping down my brake drum

9. Jun 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    That blows man.Hope that shop acts right for you.:)

10. Jun 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Did the Dumbass shop install new axle brgs and seals?. lol.

11. Jun 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    No. The dumbass never even mentioned it, and me never being in a diff, I didn't know he should have till now. Lots of people have told me you always replace the seals when goin into a diff. I told the guy to get whatever parts are needed, and he never mentioned the axle seal. He did install new carrier bearings and races.

12. Jun 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    I'm trying to keep my cool. I don't wanna spend money on driveshaft work, when there wasn't a problem before he installed my Truetrac. Then I found the leak. There's only 4000 miles on this diff since they worked on it, and idk how long it's been leaking. As soon as I found it I drove down and literally blew up on the owner, and he sounded at first like he was gonna screw me on the leak cause it's been so many miles, but today I went so they could make sure my fluid was ok, and it wasn't even a pint low. So he topped it off and said come in next week, they'll pull the axle and fix the leak. He'll also throw in a new center bearing for a minimal charge if I want

Products Discussed in

To Top