1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring LED lights to with park light and license plate light switch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by italtaco, May 22, 2014.

1. May 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    6" lift, 18" rims, black lights
    I have a 2004 Tacoma. The lights switch with 2 position: Position 1 (park lights and license plate light) and Position 2 (headlights). I want to connect the 2 wires (12 volts) of the led lights so they turn on when switch in position 1.
    The LED lights are part of the new headlights I bought on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyder-Auto...yota|Model:Tacoma&hash=item58a9a99285&vxp=mtr

Question is where do I connect the black (ground) and red (hot) wires part of the LEDs lights ?
    I thought this was going to be an easy job ... but it is not so far :confused:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    Ok, thanks for the info. This makes it simpler then I thought. I guess this is the "add a circuit" you refer to:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/PCO-0957PT_ml.jpg

On the second method the green wire you refer to, i guess you mean the one that goes in the corner signal light (separate from headlight). Do you know if this green wire bring power when the switch for headlight is in position 1 ?

Thanks a lot

3. May 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    Ok thanks. I thought corner lights were only for signal light. I swear I don't see the light on when I have the switch in position 1: parking lights (since when I bought the car brand new 10 years ago). Maybe both bulbs were defective for front parking lights (that would be a strange coincidence), or maybe the circuit has something wrong (but then it doesn't explain whey signal lights work - it is the same wire) ... strange :confused:

thanks though

4. May 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    Just to make sure, I pulled out the signal light and took a picture. So white wire with black stripe goes to signal light and green wire goes to parking light ? If anyone can give confirmation, I would appreciate it before I pull the trigger with scissors. :eek:

parkinglightwire.jpg

5. May 29, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    italtaco

italtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    OC-Cal
    Thanks for the directions! It turned out clean and easier job than I thought. Both parking front bulbs were burned and therefore I couldn't figure out which one were the parking light. Doh!! Using a volt-meter I figure it out.
    Here a pictures along a few steps (if anyone else wants to do this upgrade) and before/after result. I also replaced the chrome grill with black grill to give black look and added the bull bar. :rolleyes:

IMAG0522.jpg
    IMAG0523.jpg
    front.jpg
    front2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top