1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacement A/C Condenser

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BackCountry, May 25, 2014.

1. May 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    BackCountry

BackCountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Hey Folks,

I'm looking to replace the A/C Condenser on my 2001 3.4L Tacoma. I was quoted $240 for the part, but I notice I can get one for about $100 on eBay. Is there anything I should keep my eye out for, or will the typical Condenser for a 2001 3.4L do the trick?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 25, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    tacotundra

tacotundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    mind if i ask why just the condenser?

If your a/c system has lost all freon you has moisture in the system starting rust.. Replacing about all the a/c parts would be needed.

Im in the same boat but mine has a leak in the compressor never fixed it fast enough now i must replace about everything.

As for ebay watch out of china ones i know it hard to but i have hear about seals blowing out few months after they where put in or failure before they got it running...

Remember you have to have the system purged before, you can add freon, any air in the system will start RUST or seal problems in the system..

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  3. May 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    BackCountry

BackCountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Hmmm...

I had the truck in last year to fix the AC and they replaced a hose that had rotted off, thinking that was it. Of course two days later, no AC again. Everything was tightened up and refilled and I could tell it was leaking from the condenser. Which the mechanics confirmed. So was hoping a new condenser was all that was standing in my way of not soiling myself everytime I go driving on a sunny day. Maybe it's a gamble... But the couple of times is was working, albeit for a day or two only, it worked great...

Thanks for the tip on the Chinese condensers. Maybe eBay cheapie is not the way to go for this.

Products Discussed in

To Top