1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Found a trd s/c online and wondering if I should buy

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoNate007, May 29, 2014.

1. May 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM
    TacoNate007

TacoNate007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD SR5
    So I'm interested in putting on a s/c when I get home in a few months but unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined. I've been having a hell of a time finding a s/c for my truck online but I finally did on eBay the links right here...

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=121349336047

I guess my question is, should I go for this? It's $1800 but I'm not sure what else I would need to make it work without blowing out my engine. I'll have approx 9 grand to play with when I get home and there are still other mods I wanna throw on before I get into a blower (specifically a lift, exhaust, tires, all pro baja front bumper and possibly a rear bumper as well). I have some friends who know their way around an engine would bolting this on be something we could do together to avoid mechanic costs?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    I would hold off on the blower and do your other mods first.

It says used and low miles,,well,, how was it used for those miles?. It really needs to go in and be checked/certified out before the purchase. Alot can happen in ROUGHLY 10K miles and they are not fool proof. You might get a good deal and you might find it is junk asap. A used $1800 performance option gamble that will be missing some parts and pieces you need, regardless of what the ebay ad says.

I wouldn't buy a used blower,,but that's me.

3. May 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL

Agreed...

How much power can be gained with $2000 worth of heads, cam, and intake work get?

4. May 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    If you do the math right, spend a bit more(because you will have to), you can get a significant seat of the pants 3-4th gear charge up the hill depending on gear sets, cams, variables, ect.

Having knowledgeable buddies to help you bolt stuff on is a godsend if you are not mech inclined. In my eyes, a blower is for people who are mech inclined, because as we all know, it doesn't end just by bolting on a kit.

Not trying to buzzkill your idea Nate, just some careful observations. There are some folks on here that have done the very same thing you wish to do,,and they have done it well. Hopefully they will chime in.

5. May 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    TacoNate007

TacoNate007 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD SR5
    Thanks for the advice guys I see what you mean about holding off on the project for now. Someday I'll throw one on but till then I think I'll stick with the simpler mods until I figure out how to do it myself. Honestly it'll probably end up as a better build long term if I slow it down now and do it right ha

Products Discussed in

To Top