1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

part out or as is?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Norcalkid, May 29, 2014.

1. May 29, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    Norcalkid

Norcalkid [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Icon coilovers, rear icon gas shocks with resevuar. 100 serries American eagle wheels wrapped in 33 in bfg ta's
    Its a 99 prerunner sr5 3.4 auto trans with 180k has icon coilovers up front and icon gas resis in the back. Trucks in pretty good condition minus the blown head gasket and knock and I hate to do it but long short of it trucks gotta go. Ballpark guestimation worth more as is or parted out?

2. May 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    muddedtaco

muddedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Rattle caned black, Mossy oak door panels, shifter shroud, and radio cluster surround
    I would buy it from you if I had the money and was closer. I found a used 3.4 with 150xxx
    miles for $999 with free shipping and a one year guarantee on ebay today, I am thinking about a 3rz to 5vz swap.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. May 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    Norcalkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Icon coilovers, rear icon gas shocks with resevuar. 100 serries American eagle wheels wrapped in 33 in bfg ta's
    I am well aware a head gasket can be fixed and the knock can possibly be a cylinder misfiring but I don't want to risk dumping a bunch of cash I don't have into it, lost my job this week, so needless to say cash is gonna get scarse. Considering selling the taco to get the old jeep back on the road.

4. May 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    damn bro. Thats rough. wish i could help out.

Well weigh your options:
    parting it out will almost always bring more $. Thats why people do it. but your truck will be sitting there until you can't sell anymore of the parts which could take a while and you will probably have to take all the parts off yourself. basically a bit more $ for a lot of effort. Its really hard to say how much more $ you would get parting it out vs selling the truck as a whole.

IMO
    If you have the space to store a pile of truck then part it out. if you don't have the space sell the whole thang.

5. May 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    Norcalkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Thought about running some of that head gasket sealer shit through it haha already blown what more harm can it do? I figure it could possibly get me on the road for a bit or turn a big ass mess into a big f#ckin mess

6. May 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    The rod? knock is the kicker. Move it as one piece. Get another Tacoma later on. Quick money,,sight unseen,,how much it it worth? Run the numbers then take a tiny bit more off the top for a quick move.

7. May 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    Norcalkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Not sure about the knock, sounds not as sharp as a rod knock should be, and as far as I've seen a bone stock taco with 200k on the odometer is advertized for around 6 to 7k. Given the value of the truck I don't see many folks around with more than 3000 to buy a broke down truck.

8. May 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    Norcalkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Think I do agree as a whole quick sale. Maybe try that sealer shit to make a little more off it hahaha

9. May 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    muddedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Rattle caned black, Mossy oak door panels, shifter shroud, and radio cluster surround
    If you want to try it I had a leaking head gasket and I used k&w block sealin mine it hasheld for over a year.

10. May 30, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    Norcalkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    I'm gonna try it this weekend but I think its pretty bad at idle for about 5 minutes had steam blow in through the dipstick tube so I got a feeling its pretty severe but like I said haha turn a big ass mess into a big f#ckin mess at worst

11. May 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    muddedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    I had to do it twice but i messed up the first time, I forgot to shake before opening. I would try it and see.

12. May 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock

Yup, about what I thought with a nuked motor. Around $3K +/- a few hundred. If you've watered the oil and/or water loaded a rod, who knows whats up in there. Don't waist the block seal,,just park it. Pull those rear Icons and go separate on that stuff,,someone here might want those.

13. May 31, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    Norcalkid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Already had a few offers on the icons between here and a couple friends around. But I'm still kind of leaning away from parting it out

14. May 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    muddedtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    It's up to you but I would hate to see my truck parted out. I wish I was closer I would buy it.

Products Discussed in

To Top