1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake clunk, It really doesn't sound/feel "normal"

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mishael, May 31, 2014.

1. May 31, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    Mishael

Mishael [OP] Professional Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Manual Black TRD Sport
    Ive been noticing that there have been some strange clunking noises while i drive in the last few weeks but yesterday I got my truck back from repairs after I hit a rock big enough to be described by some as a boulder in the road and i was driving and i finally pinpointed where the noise was coming from. It was my passenger side brakes. There was a clunk when I depressed the brakes and another when I released. The more times I do it in a row, the louder it gets, but it will only do it while in motion and if I hold my brakes to stop, once I stop it will make one final clunk when I release the brake. My guess as to what is actually happening based on the sounds and what I'm doing when they're made is the brake pads are closing on the disc and hitting it with enough force to make a sound, then they are released and hit their outside stop and making a second noise.

From what I have read this seems normal but the issue I'm having is that it is so loud (about the same volume as a well swung hammer hitting a solid block of metal) and whenever I tap the brakes my steering wheel is pulled about 5-10 degrees to the right and as soon as I release my brakes, the wheel will go back. Same with when I come to a stop, except in addition to the wheel returning, my entire truck will shift slightly.

Even if this is normal, what can I do about it? It is beyond annoying already and the clunk has only been notably loud for a day.

2. May 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    When you apply the brake pedal , its not normal for the truck to shift to one side . Thats an indication that the brake caliper is sticking or the hardware that supports the caliper is bent / worn out . As the brake pads get older , you can visibly see the wear points from the pads moving every time you hit the brakes .
    I would pop the wheels off and do a general inspection . Maybe time for pads / rotors and calipers with new hardware . The rock may have done more damage than you think .

3. May 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    X2

4. May 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    Mishael

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    I hit the rock on the driver's side, this is all passenger's side, but Ive decided to take it into the dealer this week

Thanks for the replies. whats the average/expected milage for brakes? I don't think I've ever done mine and I've had the truck from 85k-160k miles over the last 3 years

5. May 31, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    OEM ceramic pads can last 100k miles, and rear shoes even longer. If they're no OEM, probably less life

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  6. May 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    Tacoma Dave

Tacoma Dave Long time lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oakley, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 xtra cab trd
    2004 trd off road 4X4, 265 75 r16 bfg at, bilstein 5100 all around front at 1in, rear firestone ride rite air bags
    I also had a bad clunk at every stop and sometimes when i release the brake to go. I found it out to be axle wrap which can be cured with a new leaf packs. I just used u bolts to clamp the overload to the rest of the pack and it works great.

7. May 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    What this guy above me said ^^^ typically axle wrap is that odd clunk you are describing. I had that problem on my '12 brand spanking new (piece of shit stock leafs) then I added a deavers 3 leaf AAL and problem solved and the bed can handle so much more weight now! All around the truck is so much more drivable now on the new adding of the rear end leafs.

8. Jun 1, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Wonder if sway bar got nailed. Brakes on my truck last about 60,000. I do downshift alot which probably extends brake pad changes.

9. Jun 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    beedoola

beedoola Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    Not to get OT, but what is the usual milage/life for rear rotors? I replaced the front pads ans rotora when I got my taco. Truck currently has 156k

10. Jun 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    MoonCrawler

MoonCrawler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD
  11. Jun 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    I meant shoes lol. I corrected the original post. OEM pads and rotors are known to go 100k+ miles. Rear shoes can last a very long time, sometimes the life of the truck as they don't get as much use as the front. You can go through 3-4 sets of front pads before the rear shoes need to be changed. Drums rarely need changing cause they don't overheat like rotors. What's more important is making sure the rear stays adjusted correctly. That'll save your front pads and rotors, and you'll stop better to boot

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Jun 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    Findus11

Findus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Durango
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco
    check the torque on your lower control arm bolts. A loose bolt would cause your arm to shift and clunk when braking/accelerating, and maybe cause that pull in the steering wheel? Worth a shot...

edit: Torque rating on those is 100 lbs I think

13. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:38 AM
    Mishael

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    That noise in the video is not the noise I hear. It's much louder and lower pitch. Less ting, more clunk. It is likely axle wrap and something to do with my brakes. When someone said axle wrap I thought to pay attention for the signs of it and sure enough whenever I'm on bumpy terrain, I hear frequent clunking as well as when I change directions even when I don't press the brake, the brake clunk is another problem. So new leaf packs will solve my axle wrap? the brake noise is still unsolved but I'm going to the dealer for that

14. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I replaced the rear brake drums 1 time in 280'000. I'm sure it was from my neglect. Let shoes wear down to far and trashed drums. Also had problems replacing with after market drums. Went back to oem 140,000 miles ago.

15. Jun 2, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Loose or possibly missing caliper shims?. Rear brake shoe was shook loose off the spring hold down?. I think your problem is twofold it sounds. A bit of axle wrap and some funky braking clunk.

If a rock jumped up and bit,,it might have bashed a brake hard line by the firewall area or ?. In turn, it pinched off that line and is now making the truck pull to one side and causing a stuck caliper situation,,when it is actually not.

I thought about the sway bar also,,but the end links are about the only piece there that could get damaged, and they are on the backside of the lower arm. I guess if the rock ricocheted around it could get it,,or if you backed up on a boulder. Only happens when brakes are applied,,so that kinda rules that out. Not completely tho'.

16. Jun 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    MoonCrawler

MoonCrawler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD
    I've owned 5 different tacomas over the years. All of them have had axle wrap. But I have never really heard sounds associated with it, just felt the jerk of the drivetrain. So if you are hearing something, I might consider another cause.

On these trucks, there's axle wrap and then there's also yoke binding. They are often confused for each other, since they both occur when braking to a stop. Axle wrap feels like a jerk, like you've been hit from the back, and yoke binding feels like a pulse down the driveline. I get them both. Axle wrap as the truck comes to a complete stop. Yoke binding when I let off the brakes.

Again though, if you are hearing a loud clank, I'd look for something else. Loose tie rod, sway bar, steering rack, etc. Especially since you have pulling to the right.

Good luck.

17. Jun 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Loose or worn trans mount maybe.

18. Jun 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    Mishael

Member:
    First Name:
    Mishael
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    And the winner is, missing caliper shims! I had 1 of 4 between my two front wheels, passenger side was missing both. Since I was out in the country when I realized this, the only alignment shop couldn't help me out for a few days so they sent me to the local NAPA and the guy there gave me some half inch washers to use as shims so i could get home. They worked great and got me back home.

also with the ideas for the rock, I don't know if I gave a size estimate on the rock but it was about the size of a watermelon. I clipped the rock with my rim, kinda hard to get a rock of that size up inside of the mechanical parts of the wheel.

10268906_492756704187991_1921640956_n.jpg

19. Jun 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Mod takes a bow. (ladies throw numbers, dudes throw cash,,$100 dollar bills please).

The fast stabbing the pedal and the noise being as quick sounded like axle wrap, broken leaf spring, or loose calipers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  20. Jun 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    Mod diagnose my sound. Everytime I release my brake, I get a squeak from the rear. Sounds like inside the rear passenger drum. Does it with the ebrake too

Products Discussed in

To Top