1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tie-rod question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NOLA ItsNotOva, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jun 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Jacked the front passenger wheel up because I feel like the wheel is bouncing when going at interstate speeds, as well as shaking in the steering wheel. Pulled on the wheel and it shakes when you shake it from side to side. Up and down doesn't make it move. So I assume my tie-rod needs to be replaced. Looking on RockAuto for replacements. I see some from Raybestos, Quick Steer, Mevotech, and AC Delco. Which ones are best recommended?

2. Jun 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    I like moog. that what ive always used and they work good for me. ive been told that raybestos and mevotech are good but I personally haven't used them. Hope this helps

Tim

3. Jun 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    04tacomarob

04tacomarob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Fallon, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OR and 04 Tacoma TRD
    x2 on Moog. Have replaced my ball joints and tie rods with them.

4. Jun 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Thanks guys!

5. Jun 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
  6. Jun 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    When you move your wheel, is your steering wheel locked? You need to see what exactly is moving when you tug at your wheel. The outer tie rods may not be your problem. You need to see what exactly is moving when you shake your wheel before throwing parts at your truck, but most of the time, it is the outer tie rods that end up being the problem. From your previous description, it could also be your wheels being out of balance as well.

7. Jun 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    How would I lock it? I thought not having the car on would lock it? And I didn't take a look at what was actually moving.

8. Jun 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    With the key out of the ignition, turn the steering wheel until it locks. It will still have a little play, but not too much.

9. Jun 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    OK, I'll jack it up tomorrow before work and check it out.

10. Jun 1, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    The link you posted to rock auto is not the correct part, that one is for a 5 Lugger, I think. You need the longer outer tie rod which is this one... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=418899&cc=1375343

I just did the driver side this weekend and it's not a difficult job. But like someone said, make sure you know what part is broken before replacing parts blindly, like I have done.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top