Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Failed CA Smog "Gross Polluter" Help Please!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
scba8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Sam
scba8's Tacoma Gallery
Failed CA Smog "Gross Polluter" Help Please!

Hello! Im new to the forums but I have two first gen Tacos, both 4 cylinder 2rzFE. One is 5 speed and the other is Automatic. My Automatic Taco failed smog horribly and was labeled as a gross polluter. Before I brought it into smog I had a check engine light for code P0420 and swapped out the o2 sensor. This fixed the CEL but I failed smog horribly so I decided to change out the Cat. After a new cat I still failed in HC as well as CO.I even drove the car around for about 40 minutes and went straight to smog but it still failed. I have changed the air filter, oil, both o2 sensors, and the cat. Spark plugs were changed no more than a year ago. I stumped as to what it can be. Oh yea the Taco has almost 350k on it. If anyone could give me some insight that would be perfect and much appreciated.

Here are my test results
HC
--------Max-GP-MEAS
15 mph 60/285/220
25 mph 43/235/223

CO
--------Max-GP-MEAS
15 MPH .75/2.05/2.44
25 MPH .90/2.20/2.40

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked your EGR valve? I don't know just throwing something out there. No codes. Some times it will have stored codes even though there is not a check engine lamp on.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
go to a smog station that will actually answer your questions and help you correct the problem.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
scba8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Sam
scba8's Tacoma Gallery
whahahajr thanks for the reply! I have been checking high and low for the EGR valve to clean but I can't seem to find it. I've also been searching the web but still nothing on the 4 cylinder. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can clean this thing out?

nigglewiggle60, unfortunately most of the smog shops around here will only help if you pay them.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough

geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
California emissions...something I do not miss. I don't remember, does the emissions testing require an actual tailpipe test or just the OBDII test? If it's only OBDII you could get an oxygen simulator (Underdog Racing Developement O2 sims are talked about a bunch on here) and see where that gets you.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it just works in combination with the rear O2 sensor and tells the ECU that all emissions are good, allowing the truck to run theoretically as well as it can with the way it's currently tuned. Buuut, again that might only help if CA sticks to OBDII testing.
Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
CA. Smog laws requires a tail pipe test
Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
If you replaced the cat and O2 sensors and are still failing smog, something is not functioning properly in the engine and you need a professional diagnosis. You'll be better off in the long run if you pay the money, get a professional to look at the scan data, and get it fixed right the first time, than if you start throwing parts at it and replacing parts that are still good.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
There should be 2 o2 sensors on these trucks. Also, you might not pass smog without an OEM cat. These trucks don't handle aftermarket cats well
Old 06-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
New plugs? Clean the maf?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CI...&robot_redir=1

This stuff is sold at wal mart never tried it though. Ive also heard a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas works good too.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CI...&robot_redir=1

This stuff is sold at wal mart never tried it though. Ive also heard a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas works good too.
I ran a bottle of mr. Gasket cataclean through mine and havnt had a code for probably 2500+ miles. I would never ever run alcohol through a vehicle. You have no idea what that would do to an engine and emission system
Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
I ran a bottle of mr. Gasket cataclean through mine and havnt had a code for probably 2500+ miles. I would never ever run alcohol through a vehicle. You have no idea what that would do to an engine and emission system
You do know what is in gas these days right........ But yeah a bottle tobalcohol wont do anything worth while.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
You do know what is in gas these days right........ But yeah a bottle tobalcohol wont do anything worth while.
Rubbing alcohol and ethanol are 2 different creatures. Plus adding more alcohol to an engine not even rated for ethanol gas would not be good
Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scba8 View Post
unfortunately most of the smog shops around here will only help if you pay them.
And you've thrown a cat and 2 o2 sensors, oil change, air filter, spark plugs at it which you paid for with no success. The smog shop may have saved you that expense.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarine View Post
Rubbing alcohol and ethanol are 2 different creatures. Plus adding more alcohol to an engine not even rated for ethanol gas would not be good
I doubt it would hurt anything, gas is just as strong of a solvent. I wouldnt be surprised if the bottles of fuel system cleaner aren't at least %75 alcohol. And

Ethanol is alcohol, you can buy %90 alcohol rubbing alcohol. I believe all new vehicles sold are compatible up to %10 ethanol.
The gas companies or gov. Just call it ethanol because it sounds more sophisticated
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
I doubt it would hurt anything, gas is just as strong of a solvent. I wouldnt be surprised if the bottles of fuel system cleaner aren't at least %75 alcohol. And

Ethanol is alcohol, you can buy %90 alcohol rubbing alcohol. I believe all new vehicles sold are compatible up to %10 ethanol.
The gas companies or gov. Just call it ethanol because it sounds more sophisticated
New vehicles are designed to handle ethanol. But he's got a 2000. Those years aren't designed for the ethanol in today's fuel

Products Discussed in this Thread