1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought 03 Taco. Need Help on Fluids for Diff/Tranny.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chowwwww, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jun 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    Hi guys. New to the forum and been lurking and reading for a few days now. I recently just finally bought a Taco after yeards of wanting one. bought one less than a week ago. 2003 Double Cab 4x4. 142k miles.

As with all used cars I buy, I like to change all the fluids. so my question is is 75w-90 good for this year with that many miles for the rear diff and transfer case? are the transfer case and front diff the same thing?

Also, any recommendations on what weight, brand, and kind of Transmission fluid I would need to change that? I read i would need between 2-4qts to drain and fill. I dont plan on dropping the oil pan.

Thanks for any information you guys can provide me.

2. Jun 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    Mr.Bohannon

Mr.Bohannon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996 TRD 2.7
    Aisin Manual Hubs Bilstein 5100 K&N Drop in Undercover Tonneau
    If you do a quick search you will find a plethora of threads about this. But yes 75-90 is fine for everything but your trans. I went with Mobile 1. Many people here like Redline products if you're willing to shell out the cash. I would recommend you have your trans flushed somewhere since it is an auto. Draining and filling isn't the most effective method for an automatic. Welcome to TW btw.

3. Jun 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    I run Amsoil Severe Gear in everything but I also have a manual. With temps here going from -30 to 100+, I wasn't too impressed with the specs on the Redline products.

4. Jun 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    thanks!. Happy to join the forum. I have been doing some searches. read that it might not be good to do a flush because it may push some shavings into cracks and nooks that might ruin the transmission? I was thinking of drain and fill. then drain and fill again at next oil change and antother one untill i have put a complete total of the amount of new tranny fluid in as if i was doing a flush.

5. Jun 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    I read the same thing and was worried too. I think as long as the pan and filter are dropped and replaced (you'll have to get those at a dealer) as part of a **complete transmission FLUSH**, you shouldn't have to worry. At 95k mi, my transmission fluid was not burnt. It was still pink and not gritty which means it was still good. I decided to flush it out anyway because i wanted to switch to a synthetic prior to 100k mi as I've seen suggested. I've put over 7k mi since and there hasn't been any problems.

6. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    chowwwww

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    I'll have to check on the price of hte pan and filer. I checked my transmission fluid and its a redish light brown. The previous owner mentioned that he had the transmission fluid changed 2-3 years ago.

7. Jun 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    In that case I dont think youd run into trouble. The pan and filter was like $40-60. Id contact camelback parts. They are an oem vendor here that will sell you discounted parts. If you call your local dealership to place tbe order, chances are itll be expensive. Unless your mechanic calls the order in and passes the savings to you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top