1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interesting Story about phantom battery

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ben Warren, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    Ben Warren

Ben Warren [OP] Member

Member:
    apopka florida
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    A few weeks ago while i noticed that the metal bracket that hold my battery down solid appeared to be broken (though later i realized that all i needed was a single nut and bult to fix it). I dident think it was a problem at the moment so i drove for about 2 weeks. Then i go get an oil change and the mechanic said something about the battery and the bracket being broken, i told him that i knew and i was going to fix it.. Then as i left, a little while later, my truck starts acting really strange, the evrything starting turning off and on, speedometer going up and down, lights shutting on and off and even the truck seemed to stall a bit while this was happening. I drove for the day like that and when i stopped to look under the hood, it was stuck on something and would not open, then i noticed big sparks comming from inside the hood so i forced it open and that metal braket flew out. Apparently the bracket had some how welded its self to my hood on one end and to my "red" battery terminal on the other end, creating some kind of current and actually burning a hole in my terminal and my hood, so i fix the bracket and evrything worked great for 2 weeks. Now, yesterday i broke down at a gass station. The battery seemed dead so i shook the connectors around and it seemed to be getting power but when i would crank it, the truck would not turn over and i ended up having to get it toed :-(.. Now i have no idea what to do and can only think that it is not working because ither something in the computer broke, or a fuse blown or something wrong with the fuel or fuel line/pump?? I do not know anything about working on vehicles but that was my guess.. So i come to you for some help please :confused:

Thank You

Ben Warren

2. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    check your 120amp alternator fuse.

3. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    Wow! I'm glad to hear that is the only thing that happened. Your lucky the battery didn't blow up under the hood or in your face. After something like that I would take it to the dealer and have them do a once over of the entire electrical system.

4. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    Ben Warren

Ben Warren [OP] Member

Member:
    apopka florida
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    I checked the fuse, it is still good. I guess the only thing is to have it towed in to the shop.. unless anyone has any ideas that i could try at home.

5. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Does it crank at regular speed and just doesn't fire or does it sound like the battery is low or dead?

You can have a load test done on the battery, I can't imagine it's in great shape after frying like that

6. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Ben Warren

Ben Warren [OP] Member

Member:
    apopka florida
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    it crankes great, sounds like it reallly wants to start. I did notice sort of a rhythm like crank crank craaaaank crank crank craaaank crank crank....
    Also after a short time of trying to start is, i stoped because i hear it is bad to try for to long and i noticed a smell. not like gass but something else that i could not defne.. Any thoughts?

7. Apr 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    If you have a test light, (they are only 5 to 10 bucks at your local auto parts store) check all of your fusible links. You could start under the hood, and then make your way into the cab.

I have a feeling your issue is going to be more than just a blown fuse, but it wouldn't hurt to do a good check before you fork over some dough towing your truck to the dealer.

8. Apr 9, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    If your battery arced itself, then I'm going to suggest testing the battery because you probably damaged it pretty badly.

9. Apr 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    Ben Warren

Ben Warren [OP] Member

Member:
    apopka florida
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    I took the truck to the Dealer via AAA. Now i have to pay a $46 diagnostic fee. After the diagnostic, they told me that it might be something wrong with the computer, add $186 which only covers the process and not fixing anything! Anyway, if i feel like they are dicking me over any more, im calling AAA and taking my tuck out of there!

Products Discussed in

To Top