Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interesting Story about phantom battery

Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Ben Warren is on a distinguished road
Ben Warren's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Interesting Story about phantom battery

A few weeks ago while i noticed that the metal bracket that hold my battery down solid appeared to be broken (though later i realized that all i needed was a single nut and bult to fix it). I dident think it was a problem at the moment so i drove for about 2 weeks. Then i go get an oil change and the mechanic said something about the battery and the bracket being broken, i told him that i knew and i was going to fix it.. Then as i left, a little while later, my truck starts acting really strange, the evrything starting turning off and on, speedometer going up and down, lights shutting on and off and even the truck seemed to stall a bit while this was happening. I drove for the day like that and when i stopped to look under the hood, it was stuck on something and would not open, then i noticed big sparks comming from inside the hood so i forced it open and that metal braket flew out. Apparently the bracket had some how welded its self to my hood on one end and to my "red" battery terminal on the other end, creating some kind of current and actually burning a hole in my terminal and my hood, so i fix the bracket and evrything worked great for 2 weeks. Now, yesterday i broke down at a gass station. The battery seemed dead so i shook the connectors around and it seemed to be getting power but when i would crank it, the truck would not turn over and i ended up having to get it toed :-(.. Now i have no idea what to do and can only think that it is not working because ither something in the computer broke, or a fuse blown or something wrong with the fuel or fuel line/pump?? I do not know anything about working on vehicles but that was my guess.. So i come to you for some help please

Thank You

Ben Warren
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
check your 120amp alternator fuse.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Wow! I'm glad to hear that is the only thing that happened. Your lucky the battery didn't blow up under the hood or in your face. After something like that I would take it to the dealer and have them do a once over of the entire electrical system.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
thanks brianr, fuse is good tho. still not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
check your 120amp alternator fuse.
I checked the fuse, it is still good. I guess the only thing is to have it towed in to the shop.. unless anyone has any ideas that i could try at home.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Does it crank at regular speed and just doesn't fire or does it sound like the battery is low or dead?

You can have a load test done on the battery, I can't imagine it's in great shape after frying like that
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
it crankes great

it crankes great, sounds like it reallly wants to start. I did notice sort of a rhythm like crank crank craaaaank crank crank craaaank crank crank....
Also after a short time of trying to start is, i stoped because i hear it is bad to try for to long and i noticed a smell. not like gass but something else that i could not defne.. Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a test light, (they are only 5 to 10 bucks at your local auto parts store) check all of your fusible links. You could start under the hood, and then make your way into the cab.

I have a feeling your issue is going to be more than just a blown fuse, but it wouldn't hurt to do a good check before you fork over some dough towing your truck to the dealer.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
If your battery arced itself, then I'm going to suggest testing the battery because you probably damaged it pretty badly.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
So i gave in

I took the truck to the Dealer via AAA. Now i have to pay a $46 diagnostic fee. After the diagnostic, they told me that it might be something wrong with the computer, add $186 which only covers the process and not fixing anything! Anyway, if i feel like they are dicking me over any more, im calling AAA and taking my tuck out of there!