1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear drum brakes issue

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cadman33619, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jun 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    cadman33619

cadman33619 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just replaced the rear brake shoes and had the drums machined. I think I may have done something wrong, though. Went for a test drive..... When I step on the brake pedal I feel the brakes grab but then it feels like it releases a little then the pedal travels lower and the brakes grab again. It feels like the pedal is almost to the floor when I stop. I used the repair manual and went step by step. I'm confident I got it all together the right way.

What could I have done wrong?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. Jun 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    lipster

lipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 3.4 auto TRD
    License plate frame
    Did you use the star wheel to adjust them after you put the drum on?
    Did you bleed them? You may have air in the lines, if you did.

3. Jun 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    This.

Sounds like you need to adjust the drums and bleed the brakes.

4. Jun 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    X3 I'm gonna go ahead and assume you adjusted them. I'm guessing they need bled.

If you didn't adjust them, then adjust them till there is just a slight sprag. But soft pedal suggests air in the line.

5. Jun 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    lipster

lipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 3.4 auto TRD
    License plate frame
    Actually, he never used the word soft, though there might be air. Pedal to the floor I'm thinking means he didn't adjust the shoes, and the pistons are having to move way to far to have shoes engage in a loving way with the drum, especially since he turned them, so that they are larger than before.

6. Jun 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    travis.diller

travis.diller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco prerunner 4x4
    fully armored, 4.88, 33 skinnies, tundra brakes, a REAL cold air intake.
    make sure that you don't put the little auto adjusting bar (thing with the star wheelie thinger) on backwards... I did that. The didn't really work right.

7. Jun 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I hate drum brakes just for that "self adjuster parts".. But sounds like you need to purge some air out of your line, do the "8 & hold" (pump pedal 8 times & hold firm till you or your buddy cracks the bleeder zerk, repeat as neccessary)

8. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Make sure you are filling master cylinder as you bleed the brakes. If you aren't losing any fluid as you bleed them, you aren't there yet for sure.Like stated when you bleed them you pump brake allowing pedal to come back in between each pump. When to 6 or 8 hold pedal to floor and have friend open with wrench and close before releasing pedal. Repeat,Repeat and so on. Check fluid level as you go. Takes quite a few times somrtimes. GL

9. Jun 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    cadman33619

Member:
    Thanks for the replies.... Apparently I did not read the rest of the steps in the repair manual..... Specifically where it says how to adjust the brakes after replacing them. After reading your replies I realized I must have missed that whole part. Just like you all said, it explains how to adjust the star wheel and how to drive in reverse making repeated stops to activate the self-adjusting mechanisms. I did all that and they feel so much better or 'normal'. I did not try to bleed them yet but I'll see how it goes from here and do that if necessary.

Again, thanks for the replies.

10. Jun 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    There should be no need to bleed the system, if all you did was replace the shoes and drums. Did you, for some reason, disconnect a hydraulic line while doing the work?

11. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    cadman33619

Member:
    i did not disconnect any lines. but i went ahead and did the bleed procedure, anyway. it did not make a difference. i'm still having the same issue... once in a while the pedal goes way down when stopping or slowing down. the fluid level is good.
    what could be causing this?

12. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I would run through the adjustment procedure again first, and redo the bleed second. And make sure you aren't leaking any fluid from the wheel cylinders.

Beyond that, either something is assembled incorrectly, or you could have a bad master cylinder or brake booster. But typically those would make it happen all the time or at least a lot more often. Make sure there is not a vacuum leak in the brake booster hose.

13. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Just going in reverse will take a year to make them self adjust. You have to have them close first.

After that if you're still having issues, spend the $50 at the brake shop.

14. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Not really. When we replace the brakes here I just get the base install set and it takes about 5 or 6 reverse runs and I get them perfectly adjusted.

15. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    These trucks have the most finicky drum adjustment I've ever seen. They work good when right but when out of adjustment they make the pedal super soft. I'm not sure what the repair manual says but I just adjust until I get some resistance spinning the tire and back off a click or so. It doesn't take much out of adjustment to get a soft pedal.

16. Jul 17, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    This doesn't make sense to me.

On my '99, the auto-adjust mechanism is connected to the e-brake. With the drum off, manually working that lever behind the backing plate moves the adjusting wheel. It doesn't look like backing up would do that.

Howerver, I do seem to recall that, with my old Plymouth (from the 70's), backing up did adjust the rear brakes.

Products Discussed in

To Top