1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Stock Centercaps

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tjsingle26, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jun 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Tjsingle26

Tjsingle26 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    Hey everyone,

So my stock centercaps looked like absoelute crap. The paint was chipping showing the ugly yellow plastic underneath. So I went out and sanded and painted the caps with a paint I thought would look pretty close. Turns out it is too metallic for the stock wheels ad makes the wheels look crappy :D.

So I have two options, get a different silver/grey paint, or paint them black and just get away from the whole silver thing.

Opinions?

Here is what the repainted caps look like

photo_1_a4efa6e14ffb8cc6549401d5f9183b58c5aebb2c.jpg

photo_2_1d083795288c729b0cd32a83c25cf97f6d795caa.jpg

Im thinking black will look cool, and make it look different too.

Anyways thanks in advance for opinions

Tom

2. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Hey Tom,

If your wanting to do black id say go nuts and paint it all. lol In the past i have painted wheels and if you do it right it turns out good. My brothers 4runner wheels got painted about 3years ago and still look great! If you are thinking that route i would recommend the duplicolor wheel paint and primer. The primer is like a olive green (at least the one i used) and i did satin black. If that sounds like something you want more details of PM me and i have pictures and can answer any questions.

Tim

3. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    If you just run the caps, they'll get dusty and you probably won't be able to tell the difference. I agree that black wheels would look good. Black centers don't look bad either. I pulled the dip off my wheels but the centers were hard to remove the dip from, so I just left it. Doesn't look bad in my opinion.

4. Jun 18, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    could just paint the rims? would then match all around :)

Products Discussed in

To Top