1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thermostat 160 degrees?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pitstop, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jun 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    pitstop

pitstop [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L tacoma
    Thinking about putting a tranny gcooler
    Hi, Was wondering what the running coolant temp is suppose to be in my
    96 2.4. I always thought that most cars run at about 200 degrees. I have looked on line and some parts houses sell 160 and some sell only 180 degree. I got the reading off my scanner. If that's what it is factory set at
    I will leave it that way but I got a code 420 and am not sure if the cat might not be getting hot enough to work right My scanner says that both oxygen sensors have the same basic reading, one of them is suppose to read steady but they both bounce around.

I cleared the 420 code about 400 miles ago but the cat monitor reads inc, not ready, . It has not coded since then.

How can you tell if the converter is bad , I don't want to waste money on buying something that's not broke

Thx

2. Jun 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I believ its 180. You can run a 160 or 170 but your fan will spin up more and you might lose some a few tenths on your MPGs. Usually ppl that run S/C or T/C's run a lower thermostat to help keep heatsoak at bay.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  3. Jun 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Factory thermostat is 180Deg for your application. Other makes and models can run up to 195 on the thermostat. Engine temp can still rise above that of course. That temperature is NOT what the thermostat is trying to keep your engine at. That temperature is simply the temp your thermostat will open up to allow coolant to flow through the radiator. Airflow across the radiator will have a lot to do with the temperature. If the Tacoma was for instance an electric fan instead of a mechanical fan, you would notice higher temperatures at idle in traffic, as many electric fans come on low speed at 195-210, and high speed if temps raise above 220 (in many applications that use electric fans)

You mentioned that "I got the reading off my scanner." so I would ask did you get a reading of 160Deg ECT on your scanner after the engine had plenty of time to warm up? If that is the case then you may have a thermostat that is stuck open.

4. Jun 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    pitstop

pitstop [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L tacoma

I know why it's running at 160 because the last owner must have put a 160 degree
    thermostat in. I am going to change it to 180 because today I called that dealer and they checked the vin and it says 180.

But I kinda knew that already, I guess the question I was leading to, but must have been confusing , is will running at 160 affect the burnoff in the converter.
    I can only assume that other things are affected by the lower temp but will they effect the converter, and bring about this catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 420 error thing?

This is all brought on by a 420 code, which states that there is a converter problem.
    My front oxygen sensor goes between .16 to .77
    The back is .06 to 2.3 running at 60 mph

not sure what their suppose to be.
    anyone know?

5. Jun 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I will say that just because the ECT is showing 160 does not mean that the previous owner put one in. (Though yes, it is a possibility)

As for the engine running at a cooler temp affecting the cat, no, it will not do that. while the ECT is at 160, the temp of the cat is in the 1000+ range.

6. Jun 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    XR1200

XR1200 Active Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Since the cat is warmed up by the exhaust the difference in thermostat temprature's should not make that big of a difference.

The P0420 code is set when the downstream O2 sensor is not provinding the expected voltages to the computer. This can can be caused by many issues including but not limited to a bad O2 sensor (either up or down stream), bad cat, exhaust leak between the O2 sensors, etcetera.

7. Jun 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    pitstop

pitstop [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L tacoma
    Well I went and got a 82 degree C thermostat at Toyota $36 with the gasket. The one that was in there was the exact same thermostat, it was stuck open. I put the new one in and it measured 182 on my scanner. The dash gauge only went up a little at running temp. The truck heats up twice as fast, which fixed the problem I had with it not going into overdrive until it got warm. It still won't go into overdrive until its hot but now it des it twice as fast. I drove it for less that 15 mins and the mil went out for the 420 code and the cat. monitor on the scanner reads ok. I drove it over 800 miles for work and drove it in every cycle drive I could think of but it never turned off. Now I can go get it smog tested.

8. Jun 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    XR1200

XR1200 Active Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    00 PreRunner SR5 V6
    If the new thermostat fixed the issue then that is great and a much cheaper fix then replacing O2 sensors and/or cat. This is the fun that modern emission laden, computer controlled vehicles can provide. It also serves as a good reminder that emissions can be impacted drastically by engine temperature.

Products Discussed in

To Top