Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

NEW RUST DISCOVERY

Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
NEW RUST DISCOVERY

Looks like I have some work to do. At least it's doesn't have to be done in a weekend! I got other rides.

[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411008/cat/500][/url
Hoping to find time to take the bed off tomorrow. I will post some pics as I go.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so you bumped it but what for? You take the bed off yet?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
taking off bed

[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411624/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411625/cat/500][/url part removedparts removed

]
]
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Ok so you bumped it but what for? You take the bed off yet?
Answer your question.lol
Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
Looks like I have some work to do. At least it's doesn't have to be done in a weekend! I got other rides.

[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411008/cat/500][/url
Hoping to find time to take the bed off tomorrow. I will post some pics as I go.
Does not look good.
What's the plan?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
I have pics of frame but getting loaded by phone takes forever with the cell service here in mountain foothills.I plan on some welding(very little). Actually think I caught this in time for fairly easy fix. Don't want to clean up too good until I get under coating in hand. Plan on using por 15 for that. Not positive on paint for finishing. From cab forward looks great on frame. Original owner must have had leaky valve cover for years. Nice oily coating [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411630/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411631/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/411632/cat/500][/url will add more later. So for those that should do this,but are holding back I got this. 4 gas door bucket bolts,6 bed bolts(heat,heat,heat),6 mudflap bolts,bumper(easier for back 2 bed bolts),tail lights(harness removal),and a way to get bed off easily. I used a rope in tree with a come-along and a ratchet strap to each bed tie down.Only bed bolts were hard to remove. With the ratchets straps you can level bed and then come-along straight up. Unless you are lucky enough to have help.I'm doing solo!haha
Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't look to bad. Looks like some welding in some reinforcements after prep and removal of the cancer and you'll be good.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah pretty happy really . Truck lived in Va. for entire life. Lucky for me 1st owner afraid of snowy roads. Wish my 95.5 had looked this good.Also found drain holes in rail bottoms clogged. I have pics but won't be able to load till late night because of cell activity.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Dumbazz
TheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheTimmyJimmy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
TheTimmyJimmy's Tacoma Gallery
Love my truck but the amount of time I spend on rust prevention and removal not to mention the cost of rust incapsulator, paint, grind wheels etc..... It pisses me off. I mighht have to get a newer 4runner just so I dont have to worry about it!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimmyJimmy View Post
Love my truck but the amount of time I spend on rust prevention and removal not to mention the cost of rust incapsulator, paint, grind wheels etc..... It pisses me off. I mighht have to get a newer 4runner just so I dont have to worry about it!
Well this is the 1st time for this frame since 1996! It is the weakest link but if I can fix easy enough it should go till almost 2030. If everything else holds up like it has it will be an amazing truck. I did absolutely nothing to my truck with no payments for ten yrs.(except normal maintenance).
Don't get me wrong,in the end it still sucks donkey dicks in hell!!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
ghs57 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chops
ghs57's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimmyJimmy View Post
The Tacoma rust war really sucks. I'd still have my 97 TRD if these things were made to specifications. That truck only had 65k on it when bought back. They're not the only rust buckets out there though, and at least Toyota made good, for the most part. Despite it all, I've owned four. I'm hoping my current will be around until 2030!

Good luck with the repair, and long live Tacoma!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #13
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs57 View Post
The Tacoma rust war really sucks. I'd still have my 97 TRD if these things were made to specifications. That truck only had 65k on it when bought back. They're not the only rust buckets out there though, and at least Toyota made good, for the most part. Despite it all, I've owned four. I'm hoping my current will be around until 2030!

Good luck with the repair, and long live Tacoma!
They recalled my Sequoia also for frame. Sprayed it but looked like 3rd grader did it. It's a nice 03 but to much to tackle. Will have to part before it starts to go downhill.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a few pics after chipping,scraping and power washing with blaster tip.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
2scars is just really nice2scars is just really nice2scars is just really nice2scars is just really nice
Navy: AMH2
Name: Brandon
2scars's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks...

Man that sucks Andy. I can't believe you got another one. I have one for sale in Richmond if you are in the market...

J/K good luck with the fix.

Brandon
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it's all good. I'm gonna fix it. Only 2 spots need any cutting,grinding,welding. Looking at por 15 or eastwood products. Like the aerosol with tube to get product inside boxed frame section. Gonna do it right! It's parked in my air cond shop. Thanks for the offer Brandon. Later
Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #17
JAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really nice
Name: John
JAGER91374's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered contacting Toyota to see if they would replace the frame on that truck.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGER91374 View Post
Have you considered contacting Toyota to see if they would replace the frame on that truck.
It's a 96. They only honor for 15 yrs, if at all. My original 95.5 was way worse! Missed recall by 2 months back in 2010. Took it in and they barely looked at it,told me it was eligible. Called me back and said I was 2 months past 15 yrs. Real bitch was I bought new and paid 500 extra for frame protection. Can't count on corporate toyota for sure.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
JAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really nice
Name: John
JAGER91374's Tacoma Gallery
Damn man. Sorry to hear that. Looks like you have your hands full with that repair.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
A new OE frame is approx $3500

Partznet has a 10% off deal going right now: (that would cover shipping)
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...iagram=8510130

Is that out of the question for you?