1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some wheel and tire help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jamey, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Jun 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    jamey

jamey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    OME complete 3" lift with dakar leaf pack and AAL's Relentless fab sliders Uniden CB dynomat'd everything Focal 6" speakers 2 Kicker 10" subs JL Audio HD amp Kicker amp HID headlights LED lights in cab, bed of truck, and under hood. raptor lined bed sliders, and skids
    Hey guys, I posted this in the wheels and tires section but i think most of those guys are 2nd gen owners by the looks of it and no responses, so i thought i'd post in here for 1st gen owner advice.

yes i know, "use the search function" but i'm currently deployed in the Persian Gulf and needless to say the internet is beyond slow... No way i'd be able to search threads out here as this alone is taking me about 15 minutes, so I could use some help.

I have an 03 extra cab with the following suspension lift:
    OME 881 coils
    OME sport shocks
    spacers for full 3" in front
    OME replacement packs with OME AAL's

I'm looking to get new tires and rims when i get back and would like to price everything while im out here. I really wanna go 33's and the 33 10.50's look way to thin so i'm thinking 33 12.50's (or the metric equivalent). what will i need to do to run these with my current lift?

I'm still undecided between nitto mud grapplers, trail grapplers, goodyear MTR's, or BFG KM2's... suggestions base on experience?

I also believe I will need to get new rims for these as well correct with possible offset/backspacing that may be required?

I want to go black rims 100% positive, would love suggestions on a great rim that looks good on these trucks as well... mines alpine white with black everything else. Thanks in advance guys. [​IMG]

2. Jun 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    IMO any of the stealth custom series rims looks great on tacomas. Try were actually made specifically for Toyotas I'm pretty sure.
    If you want 33x12.5's and you want the full flex you will have to do some trimming of the inner fender well. It's not that big of a deal IMO and is well worth doing.
    I have no experience with mud tires but I will probably go with km2's. I heard they suck in the snow but other than that they are great.(all stuff I've read)

3. Jun 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Hey,

I have ran both the MTRs and the KM2s and i would say between the two they are very close. The MTRs handled great offroad and great on snow but mine only got about 35,000 miles out of them. Prob could have got 40k tho. The KM2s i have on now and i like them. they arent as heavy as the MTRs so millage isnt as bad and they are great on road. Offroad they are good but havent put them to the test like my MTRs yet.Reviews say they last a lot longer tho. Hope that helps somewhat lol
    And for wheels i like the classic black with holes. nothing flashy so i just got the Ultra 164s size 16x8 in black. I like mine!

Tim

4. Jun 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    OME complete 3" lift with dakar leaf pack and AAL's Relentless fab sliders Uniden CB dynomat'd everything Focal 6" speakers 2 Kicker 10" subs JL Audio HD amp Kicker amp HID headlights LED lights in cab, bed of truck, and under hood. raptor lined bed sliders, and skids
    so no big deal with 33 12.50's, just some minor trimming on the inner fender welds? no problem!

So i don't have to worry about getting rims with a specific offset? I've always said i was going to go with some plain black steelies with the circle holes.

5. Jun 17, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Not really sure how extensive the trimming is but it doesn't seem to crazy because a lot of people have done it. You only really need to trim it if you will be flexing and stuff. I don't think it will rub much at ride height.
    If you want to go that route with the rims I'm pretty sure wheelers off road has the ones you want.

6. Jun 18, 2014 at 4:03 AM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    well KM2's are about $100 cheaper a tire than nitto's and if the life is considerably longer than MTRs I guess my decision is just about made then. Not to mention they do look really good.

I really did push my truck in Hawaii up at K point but now being stationed in Florida I don't see much flexing in my near future with a few exceptions of going to the gulches while on leave back in South Carolina.

any idea if i'll need to upgrade my UCA's? Can't wait to get back home and put some wrench time in on the truck, after spending some quality time with the wife and baby of course :D

7. Jun 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Uca's should be fine with only new wheels and tires. Suspension isn't getting lifted anymore, only trimming and beating to do. lol

8. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    alright i'm thinking BFG KM2's 33 12.5's on these MT side biter 15x8 with 3.62 back spacing. anyone see any possible issues with this?

9. Jun 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    last question (i think) will 6 lug on 5 1/2 pattern fit tacomas? found a set of new rims on CL that has that pattern for 400

10. Jun 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    should be 6 x 5.5 (or 139.7mm) which is also the bolt pattern for GM. just be sure the center hub/bore size is correct for the Toyota (I believe it's like 106.25mm or something close)

Products Discussed in

To Top