1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My AC sucks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fast5speed, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Jun 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    fast5speed

fast5speed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    Hi there,

I bought my 2000 xtracab v6 5 speed about 5 months ago. I went to turn on the A/C one day, and it didn't...
    So I went to recharge the system with one of those cans from Advance Auto. My system had zero pressure. Usually, when the system is dead, a vacuum has the be pulled, then filled with refrigerant.

I figured I would try to charge the system anyway. I was able to pressurize it and get the compressor to engage. When the compressor engages, it bogs the motor down a slight bit (like all cars), but it blows warm air.

The real issue is that when the A/C is on, it makes a hissing noise. I eventually figured out that the hissing noise is coming from the low pressure charging port on the A/C pipe in the engine bay that I used to charge the system. There is actually a vacuum being pulled inside the lines when the compressor is on. This vacuum is sucking the schrader valve open. I put my thumb on the valve opening and felt the vacuum.

I find this situation incredibly odd, and I have no idea where to start.

2. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I think you should take it to someone that has a set of gauges and a vacuum system and let them work on it. Those a/c repairman in a can with a little gauge are useless.

3. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    ^^^ This.. take it in and have them find the leak and repair it. It happens. I had an intake rub the AC line in a Civic and it put a hole in it just big enough to loose pressure. Replaced the line, good to go.

Good luck

4. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    TheTimmyJimmy

TheTimmyJimmy Dumbazz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DBl Cab
    Lots of lil stuff
    Plugged somewhere is my guess, receiver dryer? Easy enough to pull out and check.

5. Jun 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    +1 on the gauges. They will tell you what is, or isn't going on. That, and a vac test will give an indication on overall system health.
    Suva(r-134a) doesn't "wear out" it leaks out. Either a hole in the evap, or condenser coil, normally. A tester can tell which.
    NEVER use a product with stop leak. Nobody will ever work on it again. It clogs their refrigerant recovery machines.

Products Discussed in

To Top