Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Exhaust Manifold Crack Symptoms

Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
netsomnia is on a distinguished road

netsomnia's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Manifold Crack Symptoms

What are the symptoms? I have a rough idle and appears to me louder and rougher overall compared to my older 1990 22RE that I owned. Is the symptom a 'tick, tick, tick' or can idle and exhaust noise appear too? I have a loud humming noise coming from under the floor when I downshift or let off the gas. I was guessing this was a heat shield for the catalytic converter or muffler but now I am wondering if this all related to the well known cracked exhaust manifold issue?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
TimPall13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
TimPall13's Tacoma Gallery
When mine cracked on my old 4runner you could hear air at idle. Kinda a puffing sound from under the hood. Mine was cracked bad though so it would depend on how bad. I think mine did throw off the rpms on idle too.

Tim
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPall13 View Post
When mine cracked on my old 4runner you could hear air at idle. Kinda a puffing sound from under the hood. Mine was cracked bad though so it would depend on how bad. I think mine did throw off the rpms on idle too.

Tim
Thank you. I looked pretty hard with my reading glasses and a flashlight today - no cracks. I will check out the catalytic converter and exhaust pipe areas next for the source of the noises.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
MrRiverMan is on a distinguished road

MrRiverMan's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust leaks on the 2.7 are quite frequently due to missing donut gaskets between the y-pipe and manifold. They often get sucked into the cat.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
It's really noticeable from another vehicle while driving or if you drive next to a barrier. I can always here someone else's cracked manifold as they drive by. Like two pieces of metal clapping.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
I can say it is cracked based solely on the year of your truck.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
polack is on a distinguished road
polack's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 here. When mine went it was the gasket between the manifold and the first catalytic converter pipe. in the cab it sounded like a butterfly flapping it's wings next to your ear. was noticeably louder when it was cold. but as the truck ran it would quiet down. Also i could not see the leak at all as it was really small. i finally found it when i pulled the entire manifold and pipe out as a whole unit. you could see the black leak out if the gap between the two.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
TimPall13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
TimPall13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiverMan View Post
Exhaust leaks on the 2.7 are quite frequently due to missing donut gaskets between the y-pipe and manifold. They often get sucked into the cat.
I agree! When i relpaced my manifold i noticed the donut gasket was dust! Still had a nice crack though. If no crack then prob a gasket.

Tim
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiverMan View Post
Mine ended up being a leak at the catalytic converter. It appeared to be broke due to rust versus a gasket. Although I am not opposed to DIY projects, I wanted mine welded back together. The welder at the shop, cut off the flanges where the gaskets would normally be, and replaced with two short pipes on each side of the catalytic converter. Now I am receiving a check engine light and 'catalyst system' code. I plan to buy a bluetooth OBDII transmitter and software for my Android so I can continue to troubleshoot as I replace parts.

The parts that I have read working are magnaflow aftermarket cat with denso O2's. I am debating whether to try O2's first. Any suggestions on the parts to start out? Do I need the California NOX ratings for everything to clear the CEL? What OBDII adapter works best on the Tacoma? It would be cool to have an RPM and TEMP reading to monitor while I tune my new used Tacoma with only 95K on the odometer.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
I got my bt obd on ebay for about $5, torque in the play store is free.

I have a failing O2 sensor in my mustang, I get to use torque every other day to kill the check engine light. Some day I'll get off my butt and put a jack under the car. Probably not today though
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I got my bt obd on ebay for about $5, torque in the play store is free.

I have a failing O2 sensor in my mustang, I get to use torque every other day to kill the check engine light. Some day I'll get off my butt and put a jack under the car. Probably not today though
I bought the OBDlink - I am inquiring about O2 sensor output graphs from my scanner in another thread because this one is more about cracked manifolds, which I am watching out for and preparing for on my 2RZ.