1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 4WD vs 2WD strut and spring assembly

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mattnum, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Jun 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    Mattnum

Mattnum [OP] Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Xtra cab 4X4
    Hello everyone,

My first post so go easy on me. I have a 2004 4wd 3.4L V6 TRD ext. cab. Currently my front springs are sagging quite a bit, and the handling is pretty bad.

I'm planning a future OME setup. But due to time, and the geology industry being complete crap at the moment, I am planning to purchase a cheapo strut-spring quick install assembly. Monroe, Moog, Unity, FCS and a few others make such a kit.

My question is when ordering these guys online, you can only filter by a few different trim packages and engines. Generally there is no indication if the parts are for 4WD or 2WD. Did the 2004 4WD and 2WD trucks use the same front suspension. Is the only difference between TRD and non-TRD the use of heavier Bilstein shocks?

Thanks everyone. I will make sure to talk to someone before ordering, but I got interested and haven't found a great answer yet. Matt

2. Jun 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    the Pre-Runner 2wd uses the same as the 4wd. the 5-lug 2wd is different.

I'm pretty sure the only difference in the standard vs TRD is the shocks used?

3. Jun 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    Correct just different shocks used. Hd for 4x4 due to the added front diff but just about anything will work between 2x4 and 4x4

4. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Mattnum

Mattnum [OP] Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Xtra cab 4X4
    Thanks for the replies guys. The subscribe feature didn't work so it took me a while to realize someone responded.

I've gone with Monroe quick struts because they were in town. However I'm getting kean on an OME setup again. I hate $.

Products Discussed in

To Top