Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't get correct amount of diff fluid in rear diff.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
chvymechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Thomas
chvymechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to chvymechanic
Can't get correct amount of diff fluid in rear diff.

I'm in the process of changing my rear differential fluid I have the old fluid drained out, and am now filling it up with new fluid the factory service manual says 2.8 quarts for short model or 3.18 quarts for extra long model with rear locker. I have an extra cab TRD with locker and I can only get about 2.5 quarts in.

Any and all input on why this is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Fill till oil is coming out of fill hole, drive it around the block a few times check oil level if good you're done.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Fill till oil is coming out of fill hole, drive it around the block a few times check oil level if good you're done.
and if it ain't good, put in somemore.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
X2. After a little ride you will probably have to add a little more then call it good.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Fill axle with oil until it starts to come out the fill hole. Replace fill plug. Wait five minutes and add some more if needed.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Thanks for the speedy replies!! Should I be at all worried if even after the steps mentioned above I dont have the specified amount according to the FSM?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
welterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant future
Navy: HT1
welterbf123's Tacoma Gallery
As long as it's trickling out of the fill hole you're good...
Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
As long as its full I dont see a problem. When you drained the oil did everything look ok? Have you noticed any issues from your rear axle?

I wouldn't sweat it
Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Full it until it dribbles out, let is get into the axle tubes, and top it up. If it's dribbling out of the fill plug when on a level surfce you're good to go
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
No problems with rear axle at all, old fluid looked good but of course I wasn't smart enough to measure it before dumping it into the rest of the used oils. Its full right now I'll drive it a bit and then top it off in the morning. Thanks for all the input. I have a bit of a problem over-thinking things.

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
You're a Chevy Mechanic?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Tinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shedTinmann is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Tinmann's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
You're a Chevy Mechanic?
Well, somebody had to ask!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvymechanic View Post
Thanks for the speedy replies!! Should I be at all worried if even after the steps mentioned above I dont have the specified amount according to the FSM?

Thanks
You should not be worried.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvymechanic View Post

Thanks
The amounts given in the owners manual and fsm are the same called out in the Chiltons manual. They say the capacities called out are "approximate" and to add as necessary to bring to appropriate level which they say to be at the bottom of the plug opening. The Toyota Factory Service Manual says to add as nessesary to get the level within 5mm (0 to 0.20 in.) of the bottom of the filler plug opening.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #15
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
You're a Chevy Mechanic?
I found the problem
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Haha, no I used to be, also used to be a Chevy truck fan then wised up and got my first Toyota in 2009, now I have 3. Thanks again for all the advise.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #17
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
If when you drained the old, if the axle was not level, some of the oil was down in the lower of the two axle tubes.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
jackbower6864 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
jackbower6864's Tacoma Gallery
add it

Keep adding fluid till it comes out the hole on level ground then you should be fine check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMUr9i53Y9Q