Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2004-2014 Toco What happened?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
BillyG is on a distinguished road
BillyG's Tacoma Gallery
2004-2014 Toco What happened?

My 2004 3.4 4dr can carry 1625 payload. My friends 2014 4.0 4dr can carry 1150 payload. Why did Toyota mess up the truck? Bill
Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
omg, your truck has a max towing capacity of 5000lbs and your friends has 6500lbs. why didnt toyota give you more?

who cares, just drive you truck n00b
Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
1625?
Over rated, if you look at all the complaints on this forum about saggy springs.
Maybe Mother T got realistic is all.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
BillyG's Tacoma Gallery
There is a guy who wants to carry a camper in his bed. His camper has the same weight as mine. My 2004 said "OK" his 2014 said "OH MY BACK" thats 500lbs more than I can handle. He said I should have bought a bigger truck.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyG View Post
There is a guy who wants to carry a camper in his bed. His camper has the same weight as mine. My 2004 said "OK" his 2014 said "OH MY BACK" thats 500lbs more than I can handle. He said I should have bought a bigger truck.
Is that a story problem?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
omg, your truck has a max towing capacity of 5000lbs and your friends has 6500lbs. why didnt toyota give you more?

who cares, just drive you truck n00b
This is how we welcome new members to TW now?

OP, first off welcome to TW. Please excuse the hand full of people here that are rude.
The first gens had a leaf spring toyota service bulletin, that few people knew to take advantage of. The 05 thru 12, IIRC, currently have a leaf spring tsb available... your friend should either get an add-a-leaf or wait for Toyota to extend the tsb to his model year.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously? Why are you guys giving him shit for asking a question. Don't become the toyotaholics of facebook, kids.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rjess View Post
. Don't become the toyotaholics of facebook, kids.
This. So much.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
This is how we welcome new members to TW now?

OP, first off welcome to TW. Please excuse the hand full of people here that are rude.
The first gens had a leaf spring toyota service bulletin, that few people knew to take advantage of. The 05 thru 12, IIRC, currently have a leaf spring tsb available... your friend should either get an add-a-leaf or wait for Toyota to extend the tsb to his model year.
neither of which would affect those OEM load numbers.
his question was why did toyota do this. nobody knows this answer. I was not being rude at all, but stupid questions get stupid answers.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
his question was why did toyota do this. nobody knows this answer. I was not being rude at all, but stupid questions get stupid answers.
Definitely a question whose answer solves nothing.

I think the better question is "How can I increase the payload of my friend's 2014 Tacoma?" and it would probably get better answers in the 2nd Gen forum.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There's no such thing as a stupid question. I would rather ask and get a decent answer than just wonder a " why " on something . My opinion would be that they upscaled the truck from the first Gen to the second and didn't change much in the suspension to make up the difference.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so please explain what the purpose of the leaf spring tsb's are then, because to my understanding, they are to help with handling a loaded bed or hauling a loaded trailer. the only reason they wouldn't affect the load number is because the OEM load numbers seem to be "padded" the way aftermarket performance intake or exhaust brands claim so many HP. if anything, the tsb leaf packs most likely bring the truck to the OEM load numbers claims.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #14
20vmki is on a distinguished road

20vmki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
your truck has a max towing capacity of 5000lbs
I have seen this quoted a lot but yet in my owner's manual it states 6000 lbs (w/ tow package denoted by a green fan shaft). I have even seen the 5000 lbs listed in the "towing bible".

Not that I am going to be getting even close to that number, I am just curious as to the difference in numbers.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #15
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
so please explain what the purpose of the leaf spring tsb's are then, because to my understanding, they are to help with handling a loaded bed or hauling a loaded trailer. the only reason they wouldn't affect the load number is because the OEM load numbers seem to be "padded" the way aftermarket performance intake or exhaust brands claim so many HP. if anything, the tsb leaf packs most likely bring the truck to the OEM load numbers claims.

"Up to" 15hp. .0000000000000000001hp is in that "up to"
Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
BillyG's Tacoma Gallery
2004-2014

Thank you for all the serious responses. I did tweek my 2004 Toco a bit to handle my 1000lb slide in camper. Extra leaf, trannie cooler & used an idea I got from this site to increase intake air. My friend did the same thing I did to his 2014 with very poor results. Even with his bigger engine and I would guess stronger drive train to pull 6000lbs. The 1000lb slide in popup camper which would give you a lower center of gravity than mine had his toco crying for help. I don't know if this problem can be corrected. We do like our trucks thats why we had hoped it would work. Bill