Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How are you mounting your Hi-Lift Jack

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
How are you mounting your Hi-Lift Jack

I'm trying to come up with the best way to mount a Hi-Lift jack. I'm thinking about getting a Jeep bumper bracket and mount it to the front of my bed but I've seen others mount them above the wheelwell.

How do you have your mounted and pics are always welcome.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
It fits inside my tool box that sits between the bed rails. I suggest not leaving it in the elements when not wheeling, they rust up fast and then become a pain to use. The highlift also makes a dangerous roadside jack, so keep that stock bottle jack!!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
vanhornsky is on a distinguished road

vanhornsky's Tacoma Gallery
I made a bracket to bolt into the fenderwell and added a bolt in front of the bed. On my pickup
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
presto's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LR-200...s=hi+lift+lock

This is what i ended up going with. I like how its lockable because i live in the city. its a POS lock but you can drill the hole a little bigger and get a better lock
Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
I used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-4X400-...s=hi+lift+lock

Used fuel hose with outdoor adhesive and zip-ties on the bottom to prevent scratching to the bed side:

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
This is what i use.

This is also where i put my shovel
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
If I have the bed rack on, the Hi Lift is mounted to it.

If I have the topper on, I just throw it on the floor of the bed
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
The highlift also makes a dangerous roadside jack!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The highlift also makes a dangerous roadside jack, so keep that stock bottle jack!!
Living up to your username?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAdam View Post
Living up to your username?
Obviously neither of you have used one. Having used one in just about every way you can (from changing tires, to maxing the jack out and driving off it to get tree unjammed out of my wheel well), this thing is dangerous as hell to use to change a tire on a highway and should be a last resort option. Its an inherently unstable tool by design and can easily kill you if your not careful. There's a lot of people new to wheeling and stuff on this site, and the hazards of using these things needs to be communicated. I learned the hard way on most of them (trying to unjam the highlift out from under your truck that fell on top of it is a PITA, or picking yourself up off the ground after the handle smacked you in the face sucks as well...)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
nate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shednate121080 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nate121080's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Obviously neither of you have used one. Having used one in just about every way you can (from changing tires, to maxing the jack out and driving off it to get tree unjammed out of my wheel well), this thing is dangerous as hell to use to change a tire on a highway and should be a last resort option. Its an inherently unstable tool by design and can easily kill you if your not careful. There's a lot of people new to wheeling and stuff on this site, and the hazards of using these things needs to be communicated. I learned the hard way on most of them (trying to unjam the highlift out from under your truck that fell on top of it is a PITA, or picking yourself up off the ground after the handle smacked you in the face sucks as well...)
When we used to use them to bale tobacco we called em slap sticks cause they would slap the shit out of ya every now and then. I deff wouldn't use em to lift a vehicle. That's just me tho
Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
It's a tool and like any tool, if you fail to use it correctly it'll make sure to let you know.

Years ago, I didn't know how to use one properly and it should have broken my jaw but it didn't. That said, it's still a useful tool, especially if you have a lift. The bottle jack can still work under the rear axle tube but unless you plan on carrying around dunnage, it's useless for the front end.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
Subed. Mounting mine this weekend. Planning on to the fender. Should be interesting getting it between the tool box and inside of the bed. Might opt to mount it to the tool box but it's just a cheapo aluminum box so don't want the weight of the jack to destroy it.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Obviously neither of you have used one.
That's a neat, albeit unsubstantiated and incorrect, assumption.

Quote:
Having used one in just about every way you can (from changing tires, to maxing the jack out and driving off it to get tree unjammed out of my wheel well), this thing is dangerous as hell to use to change a tire on a highway and should be a last resort option. Its an inherently unstable tool by design and can easily kill you if your not careful. There's a lot of people new to wheeling and stuff on this site, and the hazards of using these things needs to be communicated. I learned the hard way on most of them (trying to unjam the highlift out from under your truck that fell on top of it is a PITA, or picking yourself up off the ground after the handle smacked you in the face sucks as well...)
Your assessment doesn't seem to be limited to on-road only.

Also - your assessment that it is a dangerous road side jack (as well as off road jack) is based on user error or incompetence. It has nothing to do with the tool itself.

You could put yourself in just a dangerous predicament with a bottle jack.

Also, having sliders helps when using the Hi Lift. I've removed/changed/rotated the tires on my truck dozens of times in my driveway or garage using the Hi Lift jack. Not once did I feel as though it was hazardous.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Use the thing correctly and you won't have a problem. Most user error is eliminated by reading the manual.

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks...on-manual.html

Or watch the video even.

(You don't help your argument when you even say you misuse the jack in your post)
Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
LFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLFTDJEEP426 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
LFTDJEEP426's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
presto's Tacoma Gallery
nice thats where id put mine if i had a tool box..^
Old 07-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #20
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
Made 2 little brackets.

Products Discussed in this Thread