Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1998 Tacoma

Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #21
Sin will become famous soon enoughSin will become famous soon enough

Sin's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '96 with the 3.4 V6. The tires are Michelin LTX's. These trucks handle snow just fine. We just got through the 3rd snowiest winter on record up here.
I drive a Dump truck at work that has a plow in front and a salt/sand spreader in the rear. When we have a snowstorm I'm the first to be called and of course drive to work in my Tacoma on unplowed roads. Never had any problems. Busted through some pretty big drifts, had plenty of power.

http://mix108.com/duluth-inching-tow...ers-on-record/
Old 07-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #22
BridgerBenson is on a distinguished road
BridgerBenson's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that's a lot of snow. Thanks Sin!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Had BFG's 31X11.5 on my previous Toyota 4X4 (1991) pickup.
UNSTOPABLE-never got stuck EVER.
If you are worried about getting stuck with the smaller tires-get a set of "chains". Throw them in the back!
TOYOTA is the BEST in bad weather-IMO!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Only way I ever got stuck was when we had 24" of snow. Drove right on top and packed under the truck. No lift back then and 28.5" tires.. Other than that I have never been stuck. Of course I throw firewood in the back for weight. Prob 350-400 lbs.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #25
BridgerBenson is on a distinguished road
BridgerBenson's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from going down to look the frame over and drove it again. Looks like the frame was sprayed with a black bedliner type material that is now flaking off in places. Still a good solid frame though. There is rust started in places though...should I pull the box off and sandblast it and treat it again? Also, I cant get over how little power this thing has...like there's no chance it would spin a tire on a gravel road (I tried) which I don't care to, but I am a little worried about it having the power to get me through the sandhills and some deep snow in the winter...Im used to a big duramax with crazy power and it weighs way way more, so the Tacoma may be normal and I just need to get used to it? Guy Im buying it from said and older guy in one of the Carolinas bought it for his wife, who eventually passed away. It then sat in storage for 6-7 years until he sold it to the guy Im buying it from. Hoping it will be a good pickup!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #26
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like it just needs some tlc. new plug, wires, filters, fluids, etc... maybe clean the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors. If it sat for a long time the gas tank may have bad gas in it. Doing some maintenence should help with the power, but keep in mind its not a v8 diesel, it's a v6 gasoline engine. If u want more power there's always the TRD supercharger and various goodies to enhance it. I can spin my 32" tires just fine with twice your mileage, good maintenance, and the only power mods I have done so far are intake and exhaust.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #27
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
There is not much that will compare to a diesel-power and torque.
I have cummins 5.9 w/Edge tuner. In my other truck.
Tacoma is my daily driver.