Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Issue----Installed my new leaf springs and they are already almost flat?

Old 07-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjsingle26 View Post
The truck has 130K on it, I am not sure if thats alot for shock, but new ones are next up. I dont wheel quite yet, but I do go offroad for work a lot
You are well overdue for some shocks. On average I don't see many last long over 60K before they are bouncy bouncy. They'll still work, without a doubt, they just won't dampen as well as they once used to. Especially if you are going off road. Take those off road miles with all the work they are doing and multiply all those miles by 2. 260,000 miles basically.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #23
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
I'm going to have to do read shocks soon because of my cap got that sag setting in worse and worse :/
You might want to consider stronger shocks and at this point possibly something beyond an AAL because of the sag you are getting. You might want to consider getting an entirely new set of leafs or getting your stock leafs re-arched.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #26
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
your shackle angle looks way off then what i would think it would be with those springs. they look well beyond 45deg. do you have a side shot of those shackles?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #28
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1215al View Post
I think you have more problems than just flat springs, it's called rust.
That's what I was thinking. If he said it's good though, then keep rocking it. I'd probably be looking at throwing some paint on there at least.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #29
Tjsingle26 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
Tjsingle26's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
That's what I was thinking. If he said it's good though, then keep rocking it. I'd probably be looking at throwing some paint on there at least.
The rust on the rear of the frame is just surface, trust me when I went under there I freaked a little bit too! But I took a hammer to it and also last year the bed was off at a Toyota dealer to have the spare tire winch replaced, and it looked solid and the Toyota guys said it looked good. I have contacted Toyota in regard to getting it inspected, and making sure I am eligible for frame replacement in the next four years if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
They do look back a little bit...but if they are bolted into the front, maybe that is just how it lives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
your shackle angle looks way off then what i would think it would be with those springs. they look well beyond 45deg. do you have a side shot of those shackles?
I will look at the shackles after work today, however yesterday they were at 45 degrees. But they do look 45 degrees in the pic to me, the pictures aren't very good because I took them right behind to the shackles lol. I will look at it today and post some pics!

After driving through Baltimore for the first time, and the first longer distance trip I have gone on since putting them on, they ride well and a huge improvement over my previous springs.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #30

Hey guys, so after a few more days of driving on it I have found that the springs work well. The shackles are at 45 degrees, and the leafs look the same as the previous pictures, the truck sits alot higher than it did before, a little bit of rake going on. The truck is exactly where I want it to be ride height wise, and the taco lean I had going on before is gone. The only thing I have noticed is the truck shakes a little bit when going around 75mph. But I think its because the springs are literally brand new. Anyways thanks for the help everyone!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #31

UPDATE Need additional help

Hey guys after two weeks of new springs, I have found that there is a vibration at 70mph +. I have also found that the drivers side overload spring is not in alignment with the rest of the leaf pack. It is rotated a couple degrees. How would I go about fixing it? Would I have to take the u bolts off and loosen the pin, get them back in alignment and then tighten them?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Drivers

As shown in this picture from earlier the overload is out alignment, I wish had caught this sooner.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #33
avw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedavw4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
avw4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Tap it with your BFH if it bothers you that much
Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #34

The overload is a lot more shifted than that picture. I did try whacking it into place... Looks like I'll be taking it apart this weekend
Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #35
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The overload is a lot more shifted than that picture. I did try whacking it into place... Looks like I'll be taking it apart this weekend
it will just misalign again after driving a while. The only way to keep it aligned is with some kind of spring clamp. It shouldn't misalign far enough to cause any problems or not work properly. The ubolts will keep it from moving too much. If it bugs you just hit it with a hammer from time to time to line it back up.

Also, check the torque on your ubolts. It's common for them to need to be re-torqued after a week or so after being installed.