Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Low Fuel light

Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Get2dachopper is on a distinguished road
Get2dachopper's Tacoma Gallery
Low Fuel light

Maybe I have a bad case of OCD such that I always fill up my tank before reaching less than quarter empty but yesterday was the first time that I let my tank go nearly empty. The needle was right on the most lower part of the E hash mark....crazy I know right? Anyways In the many other cars I have been in the fuel light usually goes on stays on once the the tank reaches less than a 1/4 or 1/8 full. However, in my truck the light did come on but it would flash every 5 or 6 minutes. Is that normal? Wouldn't the light stay solid until the next fill up? I know this is an unusual question but I would appreciate some input.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Penten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shedPenten is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 31B
Name: Peter
Penten's Tacoma Gallery
Gas in the tank was probably shifting causing it to blink would be my guess. Bumpy or hilly roads?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, what Pen said. Also, look around a bit, there's like 100 threads on the amount of gas left when the gas light goes on.

*protip* It is 3 gallons. For both first and second gen. You weren't anywhere near as close to empty as you thought Check your owners' manual and you'll have it confirmed.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Delta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
Just happened to me. I always thought my gas light was out but i was determined to find out if this was true. First it pulsed on and off every 3 mins on a flat road but when i got home after 4 miles it was constant on.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Delta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillchevy View Post
mine comes on and stays on, no blinking, till I put gas in. I always have 4 gallons left in tank when light comes on.
Probably because yours is a 2011 and this is a first gen.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Pay attention to it, it'll glow somewhat even when it senses the fuel being a little low. The glow intensifies with the lower fuel amount. Sounds like you were on that "verge" of a fill up.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I have had 2001, 2005 and 2010 Tacomas... and while my low fuel light didn't blink, if it had just come on at the end of a drive, it may not come on again, until a short time after driving it again.

On my 2010, the light comes on when you still have 4 gallons remaining (down 17 gallons from full), +/- 0.5 gallon. The gauge needle will be on the E line with 3 gallons in the tank. At the half tank line, you are actually down just 9 gallons with 12 still in the tank.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
3 gallons even it's on the E hash mark line? Wow did not know that. Thanks for all the input. For a moment I thought something was wrong with the fuel gauge.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get2dachopper View Post
3 gallons even it's on the E hash mark line? Wow did not know that. Thanks for all the input. For a moment I thought something was wrong with the fuel gauge.

Oh I find all sorts of ways to test my Tacoma!

The E line is indeed a point of about 3 gallons still in the tank, but the needle keeps going BELOW the E line!!! Don't run out!

Here is what I have in my truck tank (+/- 1/2 gallon):
FULL TANK: 21 gallons
F Line:...... 19 gallons
3/4 Line:... 16 gallons
1/2 Line:... 12 gallons
1/4 Line:.... 8 gallons
E Light:...... 4 gallons
E Line:....... 3 gallons
Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
The owners manual says it has 15.8 gallons. Is the 21 gallon for the V6 model. I just have a 4 banger reg cab.