Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electric Fan power increase

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Rons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ron
Rons01TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Not when you calc HP/$$$ ratio

As Linwood says, buy once, cry once...

Speaking of which, you can cut and stamp metal in your shop? Im still trying to find a new mounting solution for this damn IC.

Might have something here that will already work, got any measurements?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the Flex-a-lite single fan Tacoma kit about 4 years ago. I noticed no power or mpg affects (+ or -). I did gain the loss :-) of the startup fan roar and the cold engine roar, also when driving in town, the e-fan engagement vs. the clutch fan engagement was a bit less intrusive. I ended up replacing the stock e-fan controller with an upgraded 2-stage controller, as the 2-stage makes the e-fan engagement almost unnoticeable.

I do like my e-fan and will be keeping it on, but in hind-sight it's hard to justify the $500 ($400 efan + $100 2stage controller) spent on it.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #23
RdRunr has a spectacular aura aboutRdRunr has a spectacular aura aboutRdRunr has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dan
RdRunr's Tacoma Gallery
If you need to spin a fan, the most efficient way to do it is to have the engine run it. Using an electric fan is going to have loses in the alternator and the motor. So, an engine-driven fan will use less power than an electric.

BUT, most of the time you don't need a fan! On my last truck ('98 F-150) I put in an electric fan and added an LED on the dash so I knew when it was running. It rarely turned on. As long as I was moving, enough air was forced through the radiator to keep things cool. The fan would only come on if going too slow on a really hot day or if completely stopped too long. So, an electric fan will use more power when it's running, but it won't be running very often. That is where you may gain a little.

Let's do some math! I had a single, 16" fan on my old truck. It draws 11 A at 14 V, that would be 154 W or 0.21 HP. Hmmm, that's less than I thought it would be. An engine-driven fan uses not more more than zero when disengaged. No idea how much it uses when fully engaged.

As for the cost, the fan is now selling for $158. I think the controller was around $30. And then a few dollars more for a switch and LED (I like control!)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
An electric fan also offers the ability for those driving through say a creek or some other body of water to turn the fan off so it won't turn and splash water or break the fan.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #25
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons01TRD View Post
It was just a question on my part. My 94" Toyota Extra Cab 4X4 had the 22RE and after the header, exhaust and electric fan it made quite a difference but that motor was weak for that model truck. My 82' Toyota had the 22R and it was sufficient for the regular cab 4X4.

IMO my truck is sluggish accelerating from a stop and was wondering if the load of the fan would make a difference on acceleration for a cheap upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.
how many miles is your truck? what are the conditions of your air filter, engine oil, coolant, tranny fluid, and diff fluid? have u ever changed the spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter? have u ever done a throttle body, fuel rail, and injector service?

service and replace these things at recommended intervals to regain some of that lost power
Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
raise hell, drink beer
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
I swapped to electric fans on my 67 mustang back in the day. Wasn't impressed with them. Ended up back on the stock clutch fan like tacos have. I was actually glad to find the clutch fan on the truck when I bought it. I have no desire to ever going back to electric fans.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #27
Rons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
how many miles is your truck? what are the conditions of your air filter, engine oil, coolant, tranny fluid, and diff fluid? have u ever changed the spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter? have u ever done a throttle body, fuel rail, and injector service?

service and replace these things at recommended intervals to regain some of that lost power
Truck has 144k never seen a dirt road
1. Air filter changed every three months (Toyota brand)
2. Oil replaced every 3000 miles (Mobil 1)
3. Coolant flushed and filled every year
4. Tranny fluid recently flushed and filled by Toyota
5. Diff fluid every year
6. Plugs, wires and fuel filter less than 6 months old (All Toyota brand)
7. Throttle body is clean, upper and lower intakes are ported and polished to match the gaskets and painted to match the valve covers when I replaced the valve cover gaskets.
8. Deck Plate mod preformed.

The pic is a few months old and the brake fluid has been flushed and refilled.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Fan power increase-5vzfe2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #28
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRunr View Post
As for the cost, the fan is now selling for $158. I think the controller was around $30. And then a few dollars more for a switch and LED (I like control!)
Link? Cant find it under $300
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #29
RdRunr has a spectacular aura aboutRdRunr has a spectacular aura aboutRdRunr has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dan
RdRunr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Link? Cant find it under $300
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-19115

That is for just the fan. It is not a kit.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #30
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Truck has 144k never seen a dirt road
1. Air filter changed every three months (Toyota brand)
2. Oil replaced every 3000 miles (Mobil 1)
3. Coolant flushed and filled every year
4. Tranny fluid recently flushed and filled by Toyota
5. Diff fluid every year
6. Plugs, wires and fuel filter less than 6 months old (All Toyota brand)
7. Throttle body is clean, upper and lower intakes are ported and polished to match the gaskets and painted to match the valve covers when I replaced the valve cover gaskets.
8. Deck Plate mod preformed.

The pic is a few months old and the brake fluid has been flushed and refilled.
You are throwing away a lot of perfectly good air filters, coolant, mobil 1 and diff fluid with that schedule.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipster View Post
I'm gonna say that when Big T designed the Taco, they were well aware of electric radiator fans, and for some reason they opted for the (I believe) more expensive viscous fan. Don't know the reason, but there has to be one.
Toyota tends to use clutch fans with longitudinal engines, unless noise is a concern. Case in point: Supra with the 2JZ uses a clutch fan. IS300 with the 2JZ uses two electric fans.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #32
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
You are throwing away a lot of perfectly good air filters, coolant, mobil 1 and diff fluid with that schedule.
agreed, but at least he's doing the maintenence... better to waste then let the truck fall apart
Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #33
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Until the statistics catch up with him and he opens the wrong drain plug by mistake, rounds off a bolt, etc.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #34

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^Until the statistics catch up with him and he opens the wrong drain plug by mistake, rounds off a bolt, etc.

Snap-On........no rounding of hardware.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #35
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was just a question on my part. My 94" Toyota Extra Cab 4X4 had the 22RE and after the header, exhaust and electric fan it made quite a difference but that motor was weak for that model truck. My 82' Toyota had the 22R and it was sufficient for the regular cab 4X4.

IMO my truck is sluggish accelerating from a stop and was wondering if the load of the fan would make a difference on acceleration for a cheap upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.
Take the fan off drive it around the block and try it. I don't recommend it but you can stop a clutch fan that is cool with your hand. They require very little power to turn them until they lockup.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #36
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Here is some thing else to ponder. If your truck has A/C (seems likely) you will have to come up with a method of turning on the fans with the A/C it does not matter about engine temp but with out a fan turning cooling the condenser the head pressure on the A/C system will sky rocket.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #37
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Here is some thing else to ponder. If your truck has A/C (seems likely) you will have to come up with a method of turning on the fans with the A/C it does not matter about engine temp but with out a fan turning cooling the condenser the head pressure on the A/C system will sky rocket.
Most decent controllers have an AC feed line that turns the fan on if the AC clutch is engaged. The flex-a-lite kit has that and you tap into the AC clutch down by the AC compressor or the engine fuse block.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #38
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for more pep why not headers, light pulley, maf recalibrator?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #39
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Naw. Noone's dumb enough to do this.

*snicker
Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
agreed, but at least he's doing the maintenence... better to waste then let the truck fall apart
What hes doing wont affect longevity though. Hes spending money where it does no good. You can change you oil every mile and your engine wont live longer than if you do it every 5k. Its his money but there are better ways to spend it.

Products Discussed in this Thread