Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electric Fan power increase

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Rons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ron
Rons01TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Electric Fan power increase

I was just wondering how much the power gain would be by replacing my clutch fan with a Flex-a-Light dual electric fan? It made a huge difference on my 94' with the 22RE 4 cylinder engine. Has anybody tried this?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
1 HP?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
i've heard they make a difference, but i've never seen any dyno numbers or even "feels like" estimates. I'm interested too though.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
There will possible be a small amount, but I doubt you would see any significant changes. See, you will lose the engine drag of the blades driven by the engine, but will add engine drag from the alternator having to generate the 20-30 amps or so that an electric fan will draw.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
There will possible be a small amount, but I doubt you would see any significant changes. See, you will lose the engine drag of the blades driven by the engine, but will add engine drag from the alternator having to generate the 20-30 amps or so that an electric fan will draw.
so would a bigger alternator make any difference in that instance? or would it be the same on the engine, just with more amps being generated?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, curious of what the outcome of this discussion will be.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
so would a bigger alternator make any difference in that instance? or would it be the same on the engine, just with more amps being generated?
Even with a bigger alternator, I believe the increased load on the engine would still be about the same. 20-30 amps as Bamatoy said is still 20-30 amps regardless of the size alternator I would think. I could be wrong.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
I think the question is, how about the better (or improved) cooling?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
Even with a bigger alternator, I believe the increased load on the engine would still be about the same. 20-30 amps as Bamatoy said is still 20-30 amps regardless of the size alternator I would think. I could be wrong.
9v battery or the hoover dam, doesn't matter. It will still take the same number of amps to turn the fan, it will take the same amount of power to generate those amps. A larger alt will just be able to generate more amperage.

A clutch fan is basically free-wheeling at freeway speeds and usually only engages at low speeds when heat is really soaking the engine compartment. It isn't taking any real power to turn when its freewheeling. It would be an improvement over a 1:1 fan found in older cars where even a flex fan gave a little bit of help, but in newer cars... maybe an extra mile per tank. Total guess on the #.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna say that when Big T designed the Taco, they were well aware of electric radiator fans, and for some reason they opted for the (I believe) more expensive viscous fan. Don't know the reason, but there has to be one.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
745.7 watts per hp 25 amp fan 317.5 watts @12.7 volts how much does a clutch fan need when it's in free wheel? Hard question doubt if it's worth the effort.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
745.7 watts per hp 25 amp fan 317.5 watts @12.7 volts how much does a clutch fan need when it's in free wheel? Hard question doubt if it's worth the effort.
i like math, maybe i'll educate myself online and attempt this problem
Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons01TRD View Post
I was just wondering how much the power gain would be by replacing my clutch fan with a Flex-a-Light dual electric fan? It made a huge difference on my 94' with the 22RE 4 cylinder engine. Has anybody tried this?
All depends on the efficiency of the blades on the new fan. With the OEM fan, you can pretty much assume %100 of the engine power is transered directly to the fan. With the E-Fan, you lose efficiency when you transfer mechanical power into electrical power (alternator) and again when you reverse the process (fan motor). If the increased blade efficiency makes up for the lost engergy, you may see a difference.

Quote:
You can argue a more efficient alternator can help tip the scales, but it will give just as much an advantage with the OEM fan
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, companies spend MILLIONS in finding parts that give the best bang. They dont intentionally not use a $5 part that actually makes a difference. Its hard to actually improve on the engine as a whole. You can improve hp, but it costs a lot and reduces other factors. You can improve mpg, but it costs a lot and reduces other factors.

I throw money at car all the time with the 100% expectation that im throwing money at itand nothing else.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:23 AM   #15
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alternators only put out what is needed if it's a 130 amp alternator that is its max output and most likely is never reached in normal driving. Running the A/C head lights, charging the truck and a camper battery still would come short of 130 amps but the reserve is there. Electric fans are used a lot there most common use is in front drive vehicles because they cannot use a belt driven fan to cool the engine the other use is in some type of racing setup with remote mounted radiators. In my opinion at best it would be a tossup between a belt drive and electric fan so I would opt. for the belt drive for simplicity and longevity.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #16
Rons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRons01TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
It was just a question on my part. My 94" Toyota Extra Cab 4X4 had the 22RE and after the header, exhaust and electric fan it made quite a difference but that motor was weak for that model truck. My 82' Toyota had the 22R and it was sufficient for the regular cab 4X4.

IMO my truck is sluggish accelerating from a stop and was wondering if the load of the fan would make a difference on acceleration for a cheap upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
JAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really nice
Name: John
JAGER91374's Tacoma Gallery
Electric fans on the tacoma really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. My buddy swapped his for a Taurus electric a few years back. Made no difference in the way the truck drove or mileage.

The one benifit was that he wired in a manual switch so he could turn on the fan anytime he liked. Since he lives out west and he likes to run the trails in the desert he liked the fact that he had that control.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It was just a question on my part. My 94" Toyota Extra Cab 4X4 had the 22RE and after the header, exhaust and electric fan it made quite a difference but that motor was weak for that model truck. My 82' Toyota had the 22R and it was sufficient for the regular cab 4X4.

IMO my truck is sluggish accelerating from a stop and was wondering if the load of the fan would make a difference on acceleration for a cheap upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.
Whats cheap? Ive been wanting to do this, just for the ability to control on/off/speed, etc... but the price tag has been a bit too high for me to justify . If you have a cheap solution that effective, Im all ears

This is what Ive been looking at but its about the same cost as a new bumper

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-lite-680-.../dp/B000FKBR1Q

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-A-Lite-31...ite+controller
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #19

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Whats cheap? Ive been wanting to do this, just for the ability to control on/off/speed, etc... but the price tag has been a bit too high for me to justify . If you have a cheap solution that effective, Im all ears

Anything with improvements that are way cheaper than a turbo or S/C install.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
Wait for it...

Quote:
Anything with improvements that are way cheaper than a turbo or S/C install.
Not when you calc HP/$$$ ratio

As Linwood says, buy once, cry once...

Speaking of which, you can cut and stamp metal in your shop? Im still trying to find a new mounting solution for this damn IC.

Products Discussed in this Thread