Notices

noise coming from cv/front dif 96 taco

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
fishin71 is on a distinguished road

Army: 163rd field artillery
Name: Dusty
fishin71's Tacoma Gallery
noise coming from cv/front dif 96 taco

I have done a lot of work to my 96 tacoma in the last year. Recently I replaced wheel bearings ball joints calipers pads shocks and coils ( 1" over stock height). after replacing the first three I noticed every time I applied the brakes no matter what speed or whether it was in 4wd or 2wd I heard a metal to metal clunk noise like a hammer hitting a thick piece of steel. after a month or so I decided to dig into this noise because its annoying and im a perfectionist lol. I pulled the left front wheel because that is where it was coming from and grabbed the spindle and spun it while the wife pumped the brakes and narrowed it down to where the cv meets the front differential. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I didnt have this issue until i replaced the bearings and calipers. One thing i did do was turn the spindle clockwise then counter clockwise as fast as I could and it made the same noise only not as loud almost like it had some slop in it and im leaning towards the noise coming from the diff but why all of a sudden after the parts replacement. Damn I love this truck and I wish I had bought it new bring back 1996. thanks yall
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I think you're right, it could be coming from the CV or the diff. But, you cv is more effected by your changes than the diff. Are you sure that your CV is seated all the way? If it is, do you think your backlash is in spec? (Maybe wear is creating more gap in there?)

If those are fine: Is your truck a manual hub rig? If so, does it make any difference when the hubs are locked vs free?

One final thing to look for, just in case. Are you sure that you replaced all of the springs that retain your brake pads? If you missed one of those, you'd get a sound similar to what you're describing.

Those are just quick guesses on my part...
Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
fishin71 is on a distinguished road

Army: 163rd field artillery
Name: Dusty
fishin71's Tacoma Gallery
yes I checked the brakes by jacking up the front end spinning the hub and applying the brakes and confirmed the noise is coming from the inner cv joint and front diff. I also visually inspected the inner cv and it doesnt look like it can go in any further its just odd this came up after i replaced wheel bearings calipers and brakes. Im almost positive its coming from the differential but why after the replacement? I can rock the cv shaft left to right and it makes the same noise only not so loud as applying the brakes going over 10 mph.