Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad Misfire after cleaning engine bay

Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Bad Misfire after cleaning engine bay

Cleaned my engine bay yesterday evening. Didn't use too much water or degreaser and covered the MAF sensor and alternator. Idled a little high after that but over time of running, it idled normal. Got in my truck this morning, started up and ran fine until it got to normal operating temperature. Then it started running very roughly and idled poorly. Had to call my mom to pick me up and bring me to work. Sat near City Park all day. Borrowed grandmother's car to get home and back to work tomorrow. Stopped by to properly lock up my truck and tried starting it to see if anything changed, but it actually ran bad even when cold this time. Went home to get my dad to drive the other car back and brought it home. Immediately ran rough. I made a video of what its doing. Gets worse when you put it in reverse or drive. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEM8t-X4Ulw

Could it be anything other than spark plugs/coils getting water in them?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Brandon. This happened to me recently. If you got an air compressor you can blow some areas dry. Also can leave the hood up and run a fan to circulate. Mine ran bad for almost 4 days! Think mine got around spark plug boots.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Can those areas really still be wet even sitting for a whole day plus running the engine to normal temp twice?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Check some basics like the oil and trans fluid to make sure no water got in. But other than that it's probably just something that's still damp. I say let it idle for a while in your driveway then take it out for a drive. Might have to deal with the rough idle for a couple days but it's probably the result of some wires getting wet or similar.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
Hey Brandon. This happened to me recently. If you got an air compressor you can blow some areas dry. Also can leave the hood up and run a fan to circulate. Mine ran bad for almost 4 days! Think mine got around spark plug boots.
Mine did the same thing but it lasted for a week. Yeah on the 4 cylinder water gets past the boots when they get older and shorts out the plug.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
water or condensation under the plug boots, have to remove and whip dry.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Water in the spark plugs.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Taco47 is on a distinguished road

Taco47's Tacoma Gallery
happened to me at a self serve car wash a few weeks back. found water got past the spark plug boots and small amounts of water surrounded the spark plug. rolled up some toilet paper dabbed in the hole. took some time to wick it all out.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
A rag wrapped on a long screw driver works better and no chance of leaving paper behind
Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #10

Had a lot of water in the 6 cylinder. Had water in my air filter housing because it wasn't closed all the way apparently. Got the water out of those but now, its misfiring again and the code its showing is showing a misfire in cylinder 2. It will randomly get spark because I can feel the truck accelerate itself when it kicks in
Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
Water in the spark plug has got to be the #1 cause of misfires that have COP's. They're suppose to prevent water from getting to the plug but once there they prevent water from evaporating out.

I've had alot of success using canned air (the stuff used to clean out keyboards) followed by smearing dielectric grease in the boot before reinstalling the COP.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatch55126 View Post
Water in the spark plug has got to be the #1 cause of misfires that have COP's. They're suppose to prevent water from getting to the plug but once there they prevent water from evaporating out.

I've had alot of success using canned air (the stuff used to clean out keyboards) followed by smearing dielectric grease in the boot before reinstalling the COP.
Took all the plugs out yesterday. #2 had the slightest bit of water in it along with some gook on the plug itself. Cleaned it off and sprayed all the other cylinders with canned air and put everything back. Runs perfectly
Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
Took all the plugs out yesterday. #2 had the slightest bit of water in it along with some gook on the plug itself. Cleaned it off and sprayed all the other cylinders with canned air and put everything back. Runs perfectly
Nice, glad it worked.

In some ways, we've forgotten the basics since everything is now controlled by a computer. Years ago, a misfire would first be addressed by pulling the distributor cap and hosing it down with WD-40. Now that everything used COP's, they've become the weak link.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatch55126 View Post
Nice, glad it worked.

In some ways, we've forgotten the basics since everything is now controlled by a computer. Years ago, a misfire would first be addressed by pulling the distributor cap and hosing it down with WD-40. Now that everything used COP's, they've become the weak link.
I'm glad too lol. The spark plug socket got stuck in the cylinder twice and was a bitch to get out. However, after driving home today, I've noticed a vibration in my pedal and shifter. I don't know if this is from the water incident or maybe something different. Maybe tires not being balanced? I mainly feel the vibration when accelerating.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Still probably a little moisture somewhere. Mine ran funny for 4-5days putting 100 miles a day on. I blew all mine out with a compressor with moisture trap. Still ran funny for a couple more days after that.lol
Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
You should put some dielectric grease on the spark plug boots.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
You should put some dielectric grease on the spark plug boots.
What does that do?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #18
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Water and grease don't mix. Grease acts as a shield. lol
Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #19

Ah lol. I guess my lack of sleep lately is getting to me lol.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #20
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, catches up eventually.haha