Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

To Good To Be True?(RustBullet)

Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
To Good To Be True?(RustBullet)

I have been researching quite a bit lately on my rusty ass frame.(stealership coated in 2010.) Check this link. Only way for me to go. Looks like a 3rd grader could do this.
2 quarts rustbullet auto, rustbullet solvent,blackshell gloss black. Here's the link: www.RustBullet.com
Comments welcome. Let me know if you are familiar with these products. Claims better than por 15
Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
No input? This has to be a first.:
Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
^Man that sounds too good to be true. That's exactly why I want you to try it and report back. If it works like it says it should, that would be a sweet product.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
JAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really nice
Name: John
JAGER91374's Tacoma Gallery
Guys I hate to take the wind out of something but I used this stuff a couple of years back when I did the frame on my Cutlass. Had the body off the frame and had the entire frame blasted.

I then used their cleaners and prep wash by the book and it looked great for about 2 yrs then started peeling. This is on toy that gets driven on weekends and raced a coupl e of time per year. Problem with this stuff is, like POR15 the cured product is more like a plastic coating than paint and when it starts peeling off it tends to come off in large sheets.

I learned my lesson. When I re-do the Cutlass the frame will be blasted and sent for the corrosion dip before priming and paint with good old quality auto paint.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
^Man that sounds too good to be true. That's exactly why I want you to try it and report back. If it works like it says it should, that would be a sweet product.
I will be using this and totally reporting back . I didn't read anything about cleaners and prep wash either. I have 2 hvlp spray rigs due to the business I'm in also. Seems light coats way to go. Too many testimonials to not be decent. Could be if done in a hurried fashion that job won't hold up. Or didn't use automotive formula.
edit: oh yeah, 10 yr warranty if done right.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
JAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really niceJAGER91374 is just really nice
I wish the best of luck to you. Maybe it'll work better sprayed.

The wash and prep I was referring to are the rust prep solvent and metal prep. For the record I used their auto under carriage kit.

Truth be told its pretty hard to screw the process up. I'm just not happy with the peeling.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGER91374 View Post
I wish the best of luck to you. Maybe it'll work better sprayed.

The wash and prep I was referring to are the rust prep solvent and metal prep. For the record I used their auto under carriage kit.

Truth be told its pretty hard to screw the process up. I'm just not happy with the peeling.
Yeah I hope I have better results than what you ended up with. It. The truck isn't my only transportation, and it's in an air cond. shop for like 2 weeks now. Gonna weld some on it today and hopefully start frame next week. Did you go slow at it between coats? Wondering... Hoping...
Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else got any experience with this product?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
Yeah I hope I have better results than what you ended up with. It. The truck isn't my only transportation, and it's in an air cond. shop for like 2 weeks now. Gonna weld some on it today and hopefully start frame next week. Did you go slow at it between coats? Wondering... Hoping...

A buddy and I applied 3 coats about 4-5 hrs apart.

Made for a long day but we got it done. Also used a spray wand to get up inside the frame rails where it was boxed. Not sure how much good that did but I felt better about it afterward.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
How long ago? Did you topcoat with paint? Yeah most the testimonials were from 3 applications equaling 6 mil when done. That's my plan also.Thanks for reply JAGER91374!
Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Bino9905 is on a distinguished road
Bino9905's Tacoma Gallery
I used it on my bronco frame.....i just wire brushed the rust/mud/old paint off of it I used hand brush, drill and grinder and did one section at a time.
The rust bullet is awesome. I like that the first two coats are silver in color and then the last one is black, it really helps to see what you missed as you can see the silver coming tIhrough.....this stuff dries hard and I have not had any issues with fading or peeling.....i cover a section of old rusty body panel just laying around.....years later, the painted spot is still there, not rust on the painted section even though the rest of it is all rust...I brushed on all my coats....
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply Bino9905. Sounds great, still descaling on frame, wire brushes on drills,welding. Looking forward to seeing my frame finished soon. I will post pics throughout the process.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
Good results for me

I cleaned up the taco frame the hard way, wire wheels etc. My frame was in good shape to begin with but I did apply RB by brush with 2 coats of silver and topcoated with flat black Tremclad.

I also rust treat the undercarriage with Krown each fall and clean frame in spring and apply Fluid Film.

I am very happy with my RB results...no peeling

The Rust Bullet has held up well in my salty location. My truck however came from Arizonia in 2010 so it had a good start to its life in a rust free environment.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info ontarioyota. I Replied earlier but don't see it. Sounds good. I will post more pics soon as I go threw the process. Thanks for all replies and info.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Pics from yesterday, ready to finish welding

[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/416023/cat/500][/url
3 piece gusset.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for pics
Old 08-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
LOOK HERE--this stuff looks GREAT.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...xperiment.html
Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
Look up chassis saver. Its great you put it right over rust and forget about.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #19
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
So I finally got my frame sprayed today. I did 3 coats with an hvlp spray rig. Takes almost 6 hrs with wait between coats. I will top coat with black rustoleum hopefully tommorow. The beds been hanging in a tree for months. Also sprayed bottom of bed in spots. Looking forward to the end of this. Lots of work getting toyota spray off that was failing. Here's some pics.
Metalblast is an etching cleaner that I used yesterday.
[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/423019/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/423020/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/423021/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/423022/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/423023/cat/500][/url [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/423024/cat/500][/url
Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
2scars is just really nice2scars is just really nice2scars is just really nice2scars is just really nice
Navy: AMH2
Name: Brandon
2scars's Tacoma Gallery
Well....I need new pics!!

Hope it works out for you Andy.