Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Starting problem =(

Old 07-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Wildcat1991 is on a distinguished road
Wildcat1991's Tacoma Gallery
Starting problem =(

Before I had made a post my truck would keep loosing battery and would take a boost, then few days later it wouldnt take a boost, roll start, or anything.. when it did run you could turn on the radio or it would kill out, headlights or anything eletrical same problem would happen.. now i changed a fuse in it and its starting to crank but it just wont start! please help!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Check all other connections...alternator, engine ground, body ground...see if they are loose,or broken or corrosion.
If possible head to the auto parts store to have them hook it up to their charging system analyzer.

How old is the battery?... It may need water or replacement.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Wildcat1991 is on a distinguished road
Wildcat1991's Tacoma Gallery
The battery is just a four months old just bought it when i started having problems with the truck, took it down there the other day to get it tested they said it was a good battery and charged it back up. rebuilt the alternator also. ive had about 5 people tell me its a ground but im not sure where all the grounds are on the truck to check them, i took the alternator off and put it back on myself and im not a mechanic at all so ill go check the alternator right now and let you know if that helps, thanks for advice
Old 07-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
If you get the truck started and disconnect the battery it should run if the alternator is good. (No radio,lights on.) That would rule out alternator. Just disconnect the ground when you do it. Also is the belt tension right?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
If you get the truck started and disconnect the battery it should run if the alternator is good. (No radio,lights on.) That would rule out alternator. Just disconnect the ground when you do it. Also is the belt tension right?
Andy, this was the accepted testing practice for alternators prior to electronics be using in vehicles. Now the practice is to leave the battery connected to filter and stabilize the poly phase voltage produced by the alternator. By disconnecting the battery, excessive voltage (>16 VDC) could easily destroy any electronics (emissions control computer, audio systems, etc.) and lighting. In other words, the battery acts like a large electrolytic capacitor to filter the DC voltage. Alternators can be tested by measuring the DC voltage, AC voltage (ripple) and DC current outputs to determine its health.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, appreciate your advice. Although I did do this on my 95.5 without ill effects Shadetree. Not questioning,just saying. Definitely not trying to give bad advice though, so thanks.