Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New truck?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
a.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
New truck?

How's this truck look guys? I see there's a little bit of interior damage/stains. But thats not a huge deal with how little it is.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4506963754.html

This owner has had this truck for 8 years, bought it with only 36k miles. It now has 218k. He did the radiator and hoses 3 years ago, shocks 2 years ago. No leaf springs though. He hasn't done any heavy hauling, its been just a DD for him. He replaced the tranny fluid and clutch at 150k. The 4x4 and lockers works well. He's asking $6500 out of it. What do you think its worth? He's selling it because he just got a newer tundra.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a clean Truck to me. Some stains are expected, long as its not flood damage stains. I'd look up the carfax and of course book value, then offer less than asking price. I never pay full asking price - most people these days have already factored a lower offer into what they actually want . GL
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
tacomanto will become famous soon enough
tacomanto's Tacoma Gallery
Could you compare it with the prices in your area provided by KBB or other similar tools? What is a good price in one state may not be a good one in another state.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
a.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the sheda.smo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
Looks like a clean Truck to me. Some stains are expected, long as its not flood damage stains. I'd look up the carfax and of course book value, then offer less than asking price. I never pay full asking price - most people these days have already factored a lower offer into what they actually want . GL
The truck wasn't horrible. I just got back from looking at it. There's some small dents and scratches but nothing horrible. The stains look like regular stains, not from water. The carfax is clean. Been in Az its entire life. No rust underneath on anything. The going price for good is $6500. I'd say that's the condition its in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomanto View Post
Could you compare it with the prices in your area provided by KBB or other similar tools? What is a good price in one state may not be a good one in another state.
KBB does say $6500 for good. It's hard to say where it stands on Clist because there's not many like this going around. Seems to be in the middle of what I've seen.

The truck rides pretty nice. The owner drives mostly high way to work and has had it for 8 years. He's done regular maintenance on it. He hasn't done much if any serious wheeling. There was no noticeable dents or scratches on the frame.

Maintenance inspection completed
Recommended maintenance performed
Mass air flow sensor replaced
Fuel injection system flushed/serviced
Fuel filter replaced
Computer(s) checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
Fluids checked
Steering/suspension checked
Body noise checked
Brakes checked
Rear differential fluid flushed/changed
Brake shoes replaced
Rear wheel bearing(s)/hub(s) replaced

That was all done about 20k miles ago.

Now some downfalls:
Leaf's need to be replaced, he's never replaced the LBJ but they do look good, the temperature gauge stopped working when he replaced the radiator and he's unsure if it's sensor or the gauge.

I forgot to ask about the tbelt and water pump, so I'll ask tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
New truck?-20140709_173431.jpg   New truck?-20140709_173556.jpg  
Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any thoughts?

Talked to him about the water pump and timing belt. He did the timing belt at 130k miles and has never done the water pump. It's now at 218. What's a reasonable price to ask?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like he's been trying to sell it for a while, from the date on the pictures. Maybe he's lowered his price already but $6500 seems a bit high. I'd say offer $5K and let him counter. With the water pump never been changed and the timing belt will be due again in about 10k miles, plus the cosmetic damages inside and out, you should pay no more than "fair" kbb value maybe a little less if you can get the guy to come down on the price.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
Good price was 6500. My big issue is the water pump and timing belt. That'll be expensive. And those need to be done as soon as I get it too. I'm probably going to see him again this weekend and talk money. Hopefully it works out. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
"Fair" price for this truck is $5,437 which seems closer to the price you should pay.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
Oh interesting. Here in az the fair is 5,913. For kbb on my phone I put it as limited since it's an sr5. Is that right?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
limited is not the same as sr5
Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
Oh? When I do it on my phone it has pickup, pre runner and limited. Which would it be?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
Just another slob that loves taco's
LarryC is on a distinguished road
LarryC's Tacoma Gallery
It'll be a prerunner with the SR5 package. Most sellers in AZ seem to ask way too much for their Toyota's. I just spent the last two months searching here and while Phoenix seems to offer the lower prices they still ask over KBB. Do what I did, find out all the options on the truck and let KBB drive the price. Tell the seller you know it's value and if he works with you then great, if not, it's not the right truck.

At the end of the day, the seller has to know that insurance co's and banks live and breathe by KBB. Pay too much and you can't get a loan, pay too much using cash and if you're in an accident you'll only get low KBB for value if you cover it. I ended up buying mine from a dealer, I knew what KBB was and ended up paying a little less for mine. It was used and even though they claimed their price was the price I got it down.

Good luck with the hunt, you're looking for the right truck.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
The prerunner didn't give the option of manual or 4x4. I did the pickup and it had the manual, 4x4, sr5 and trd. The fair condition on that is 5,262. Good condition is 5,801.

I agree with you though. There are some crazy prices here with the taco's!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #14
LarryC's Tacoma Gallery
You're right, sorry, I was hunting for a 2wd which is what I bought. Just for the fun of it, I took my best guesses at KBB on the truck you're looking at. Using pickup, I came up with $6531 for excellent, $6234 for very good, and $6089 for good. My guess is that the truck is in good condition considering its age, it appears to me that the hood has some paint issues (oxidation of the clear coat) and that alone should bring it in the good to maybe very good condition status.

I personally wouldn't pay any more than $6200 for it. At least that would be my target price. Overall, this seller isn't asking way too much, I suspect he or she will work with you.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
It's all good bud!

My biggest issue right now is the timing belt and water pump. I don't want to fork over 6k and then have to drop another 6-700 or so to get those fixed.

If you check the 3rd picture, I believe, you can see that it looks fine. I thought that at first, but my gf pointed it out that it is just the reflection of the clouds.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
that engine bay looks pretty clean too. could be he steamed it for the sale. when my water pump was starting to show signs it oozed the pink coolant and crusted up on the outside of the pulley/pump and also down on the crossmember.

I would check for any leaks again now that you've driven it and if it has a fresh clean get up in there with a LED flashlight and run your hand on top of the skids to see if there is any fluids. also look around the heads and any vacuum hoses to see signs of wear.

for some reason most sites (kbb, edmunds, etc) have base/pre runner/limited and then you have to pick all the options for TRD & SR5 which can play with the pricing. even then there are some that you cannot select manual trans with that doesn't make sense
Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
That's good to know! I might be heading back out there tomorrow to go check it out again, I'll keep those in mind. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
a.smo's Tacoma Gallery
YEE! I ended up buying the truck today. Got it for $5500.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
likeoof808 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: rex
likeoof808's Tacoma Gallery
Post pics!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
LarryC's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the new purchase, hope you like it as much as I like mine now.