Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

98 Tacoma intake/gas problem

Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Turko is on a distinguished road

Turko's Tacoma Gallery
Question 98 Tacoma intake/gas problem

*Backstory (could be related, not sure)*
I recently had a problem with the idle control sensor on my taco. Check engine light came on. I read that the sensor usually gets dirty and you clean it out instead of replacing it. So I took of the throttle body and took off the sensors, cleaned out the body and the idle valve. When I went to put everything back together, I put this electrical paste on the inside of the connectors of the control sensor. I drove my truck from Miami to Tennessee couple weeks ago and it didn't give me a problem. When I came back down (14 hours straight) and pulling into the house, I hear my engine just get extremely loud. I thought it was my fuel pump working overtime since I was on empty pulling in . Next day I fill up and head out. Until the current problem I have now begins.

*Problem*
When ever my tank gets lower than a quarter full my check engine light comes on. I plug in the reader and I get the following codes:
1) Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
2) Intake Air Temperature Circuit
3) Insufficient coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

They codes and the Check Engine light both go away when I fill up the tank. The car runs perfect even with the check engine light on. You can hear it, my temp never rises, and Im not eating away at my gas.

Any tips would be appreciated. Can it be a leak in the actual tank? I also read that either the fuel measuring unit or the tube that leads to the engine can have something floating around and it gets stuck when the tank is low.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #2

Turko's Tacoma Gallery
anyone
Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
With the engine idling tap the MAF sensor lightly with the handle of a screwdriver; if the idle fluctuates the MAF is bad.

Other than that I'd try a new Coolant Temp sensor then maybe be ready for a new fuel pump.

Ya, check the top side of the gas tank for rust through.

Just guesses.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Turko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
With the engine idling tap the MAF sensor lightly with the handle of a screwdriver; if the idle fluctuates the MAF is bad.

Other than that I'd try a new Coolant Temp sensor then maybe be ready for a new fuel pump.

Ya, check the top side of the gas tank for rust through.

Just guesses.

Good luck!
Thanks amn. Il try that out