Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help diagnosing ticking sound in suspension

Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
camptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
camptaco01's Tacoma Gallery
Help diagnosing ticking sound in suspension

So I have this ticking metal on metal sound in my front driver side suspension. Only seems to happen at lower speeds or while turning. I put my gopro under the wheel well to hopefully see whats making the noise but didn't see anything. I know my ball joints are shot,getting replaced next week,but they don't seem to be making the noise. Any ideas?
http://youtu.be/gqufSPQM-dg
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
No idea but subbing for answer.
I got a noise also but no go pro to help figure it out.
How did you set it up (how did you mount the gopro)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I watched it like ten times and cant see anything but damn I need a go-pro. What an awesome diagnostic tool! You can see everything perfectly in HD. I always joke with my old man about having him lay under the truck while I drive around to figure out weird noises, apparently I don't have to put his life at risk haha.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
camptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcamptaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcpsychobilly View Post
No idea but subbing for answer.
I got a noise also but no go pro to help figure it out.
How did you set it up (how did you mount the gopro)
You can use the tripod mount and a bolt to secure the camera in the wheel well. There's a few random holes in the frame to mount to. I've made a DIY tripod mount out the the top plate that comes with the GoPro by epoxying a nut to the bottom, keeps the camera nice and secure to the flat surface.sorry fuzzy pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I watched it like ten times and cant see anything but damn I need a go-pro. What an awesome diagnostic tool! You can see everything perfectly in HD. I always joke with my old man about having him lay under the truck while I drive around to figure out weird noises, apparently I don't have to put his life at risk haha.
Couldn't see anything either First time I've mounted the GoPro under the truck and I too am surprised how well everything looks. I'll probably be mounting it near the steering rack to check everything down there tomorrow. I can even watch what the camera sees on my phone in (almost) real time which helps to make sure I haven't lost it. Things so small you can mount it anywhere. Wouldn't recommend laying under a moving vehicle haha a gopro is probably cheaper than a hospital bill.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camptaco01 View Post
gopro is probably cheaper than a hospital bill.
Canada= Free health care
GoPro= $200+

haha
Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Canada= Free health care
GoPro= $200+

haha
Time to move to Canada!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's your CV joint. Bad CVJ's will sound off at slow speeds and in turns. The CV boot looks good, have you ever replaced the CV's? Nice vid btw, gopro's are very handy, I might have to get one to play with.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aught2TaCO View Post
I think it's your CV joint. Bad CVJ's will sound off at slow speeds and in turns. The CV boot looks good, have you ever replaced the CV's? Nice vid btw, gopro's are very handy, I might have to get one to play with.
The boot was replaced when I first got the truck about a year ago. Previous owner didn't have any records of the work done and didn't go through Toyota so no telling if they were or not. I'll check it out thanks for the input!