Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help me decide on the right taco...

Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
ineedataco is on a distinguished road
ineedataco's Tacoma Gallery
help me decide on the right taco...

Intrested in a gen 1 taco. I dont have the extra income for a jk wrangler as much as I would love one.. I will be using it for fun mainly. My stupid 2010 6.0 2500 silverado gets stuck in anything and everything mud, sand, you name it ill get stuck in it. I love my silverado... anyways ever since I got pulled out of the marsh at the beach by a gen 1 tacoma when 2 silverados and a powerjoke could not pull me out... well I fuckin want one. The main uses for the truck will be taking it fishing beach lakes rivers ect. Will be lifted and it will be used for mudding occasionally. ive been told "4x4 4cyl 5 spd is indestructible!" But I see so many v6s im just not knowledgeable on the engines and drivetrains enough to pick the right setup for what it will be used for. I want it to be a 5 speed I know that for sure. Ive done a little research its mainly everyone saying how much they love there taco so appolgies if you think im not doing my reasearch before posting. Thank you anyone who provides helpfull information!!

Current daily is a lexus sc300 love toyota!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Get the v6 if your lifting getting big tires the 3.4 is just as good as the 4cyl toyotas
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
It's a surf spot not a house
LogCabins is on a distinguished road

Army: AGR Hawaii Army National Guard
LogCabins's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^
Agree 3.4l SR5 4x4= Happy, Happy, Happy
No need to go over the top, a solid 3" mid-travel with some 33s and you will be the guy that the next silverado is envious of LOL
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
you cant kill the 3.4l v6. seriously ive seen them used and abused and they just. dont. die.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
you cant kill the 3.4l v6. seriously ive seen them used and abused and they just. dont. die.
Holy fire balls!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Agreed. A buddy of mine's 3.4 caught on fire 4 times and cranked right back up except the last time. So I pulled him off the mountain and loaded it on his trailer. He took it home, waited a few days, and the truck started up once again. You can't kill one, but I've heard they have a problem with blowing head gaskets. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Agreed. A buddy of mine's 3.4 caught on fire 4 times and cranked right back up except the last time. So I pulled him off the mountain and loaded it on his trailer. He took it home, waited a few days, and the truck started up once again. You can't kill one, but I've heard they have a problem with blowing head gaskets. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The 3.0 in the pickups and 4runners had that issue. Head gasket issues in these 3.4l seem to be isolated rate occurances
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Ive been scouring craigslist... noticed the shifters in some of the older ones (auto) look identical to the ones in the auto sc300/sc400s lol
Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedataco View Post
Ive been scouring craigslist... noticed the shifters in some of the older ones (auto) look identical to the ones in the auto sc300/sc400s lol
I believe they use the same family trans (A340) but I think the Lexus's use the Supra trans (I think A340H; Tacoma 4WD is the A340E IIRC).
Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
you can't go wrong with the pink taco...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Okay do any 4x4 3.4l 5 speeds come with single cabs? Which years have the 3.4L? Houston CL has 4 million no hablo engles posts with single cabs on 22s... pretty hard to accurately search for what I want :/ not to mention these damn things retain there value apparently.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Professional Web Wheeler

Single cab 3.4l are extremely rare. You are likely to find 2.7l in the ref cabs. You'll need to get the extra cab to get the v6. More space and more power.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Im just not looking for so long of a wheelbase. But I can live with extd cab. The 3.4 only come in a few years?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedataco View Post
Im just not looking for so long of a wheelbase. But I can live with extd cab. The 3.4 only come in a few years?
96-04 which spans the time the first gens were built. Drive an extra cab. They have a great size and a very good turning radius.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
You have been helpfull thank you! Ill keep looking through the millions of Craigslist ads
Couple pics of my sc300
Attached Thumbnails
help me decide on the right taco...-20140403_175432.jpg   help me decide on the right taco...-img_20140409_202832.jpg   help me decide on the right taco...-20140403_175455.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Professional Web Wheeler

If you can navigate to the first gen forum, there is a helpful buyers guide stickeid at the top that has more info than me. Good luck.