Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4L Rebuilt Long Block

Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
YoDaddy1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Yoda
YoDaddy1's Tacoma Gallery
3.4L Rebuilt Long Block

I have recently discovered the wealth of knowledge in this venue, It is a great source of information... Thanks

With that being said, I had an overheat issue over the 4th of july, Upon my return I took truck to a friend and we quickly discovered that I have HC present in my cooling system. = Blown Head Gasket

I live in the Bay area and have looked around for replacement engines as I don't want to screw with redoing the top end only on a motor with 229K on it. I have found several suppliers that offer a long block Rebuilt in the 3.4L Prices range from $1,600.00 to $3,700.00 I found a company in Emeryville Cal. that imports engines from Japan and does the work on them here local. This company is Called Engine world and is on the low side of the price range. This post is to get info out to this forum and to also solicit some opinions. I've also got a Mechanic lined up to do the install at a price of about $1,100.00 I am anticipating another $500-$800 in Parts Water pump, Radiator, Hoses, Belts, And misc.

Any feed back or opinions on this would be great.

Thanks

Yoda
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
Me? I would fix the one I have.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDaddy1 View Post
I have recently discovered the wealth of knowledge in this venue, It is a great source of information... Thanks

With that being said, I had an overheat issue over the 4th of july, Upon my return I took truck to a friend and we quickly discovered that I have HC present in my cooling system. = Blown Head Gasket

I live in the Bay are and have looked around for replacement engines as I don't want to screw with redoing the top end only on a motor with 229K on it. I have found several suppliers that offer a long block Rebuilt in the 3.4L Prices range from $1,600.00 to $3,700.00 I found a company in Emeryville Cal. that imports engines from Japan and does the work on them here local. This company is Called Engine world and is on the low side of the price range. This post is to get info out to this forum and to also solicit some opinions. I've also got a Mechanic lined up to do the install at a price of about $1,100.00 I am anticipating another $500-$800 in Parts Water pump, Radiator, Hoses, Belts, And misc.

Any feed back or opinions on this would be great.

Thanks

Yoda
Don't ever go cheap on engine rebuilds. This is one of those jobs you want to do yourself or have the highest bidder do, IAW your budget.

URD has a lot of knowledge on the 5VZ and does rebuilds on the 1GR. I doubt he will do the rebuild (he's usually swamped) but he might be gracious enough to point you in the right direction.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #4

Repairing it was my first inclination, I have taken it to several shops and talked to several other ASE Certified Mechanics, 90% are saying they would love to take my Money to just do the heads, but they know they will see me back within 6Mo. with lower end problems.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
2scars will become famous soon enough
Navy: AMH2
Name: Brandon
2scars's Tacoma Gallery
Is it paid off?

I just put a JDM 3.4 in mine, but it was a pain with the differences in the oil pan, cooler, wiring harness, and other bits and pieces. I also had the factory motor sitting there to look at and I took my time. slow the first time but not awful. This motor runs like a top and cost me $1350 with tax, not bad extension of the trucks life.

Brandon
Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
XR1200 is on a distinguished road
XR1200's Tacoma Gallery
Why not rebuild the one you have? Only reason not to is time and with 229k on the clock don't be a fool and just do top end. It could last forever by just doing the heads but you will be pissed if the bottom end starts to have issues.

Call Toy Connection in Santa Clara and if they are in a good mood they should be able to answer your questions and give you their recommendation.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know anything about the shops you listed, but I was thinking...

If you're having a shop pull the head, would it be cheaper to inspect the block and go with a slightly oversized piston set, if you find something wrong?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no machinist, but to do that, you have to bore the cylinders, as they really aren't round anymore, among a lot of other reasons.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

I am leaning toward a rebuilt long block, cylinders bored .020 over and all components replaced, can get it done a total of about $3,500.00 VS $2,500.00 for just the top end, don't have the time or the patience to tackle it in my Garage!! Lol
Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
junk yard 3.4's usually go for less than $1k
Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
XR1200's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
junk yard 3.4's usually go for less than $1k
And you don't know how the original owner treated it so you could end up being out even more money.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR1200 View Post
And you don't know how the original owner treated it so you could end up being out even more money.
Not much of a gamble with the 5VZ...
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
XR1200's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Not much of a gamble with the 5VZ...
Then don't look under the timing belt cover on the truck Ibought used where I found remnants of a shredded belt or the crank pulley bolt that was not properly tightened and had nearly fallen out.

Used is still used and you never know how it was taken care of prior to you purchasing it.