Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drum replacement = pad replacement?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Polar6667 is on a distinguished road
Polar6667's Tacoma Gallery
Drum replacement = pad replacement?

I've looked all over these threads so if this has been answered/discussed, my apologies. Please point me in the right direction.

Here's my problem/question: My 2000 Taco has had a pulsing in the seat, not steering wheel when braking, and has been diagnosed as warped drums. With 170k miles on the truck and these being the stock drums it stands to reason. A couple years ago I had blown axle seals, grease, etc... The rear brakes were done at that time and the drums were turned (hence the warping), new pads were installed at that time.

I purchased a pair of Centric drums and replaced them yesterday only to have the vibrations to be worse than the warped drums.. Did I get a bad pair of drums? Is it necessary to replace the pads due to the old drums being warped? Do Pads conform to warped drums thus vibrating worse on a smooth surface?

Thanks for any help..
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
I had a terrible past history with other than oem drums. Exactly as you described. I have always heard to replace shoes with new drums. Not an expert here though. GL
Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
arifleman is on a distinguished road
arifleman's Tacoma Gallery
"Do Pads conform to warped drums thus vibrating worse on a smooth surface?"

Yes they will. Replace the pads, should be a world of difference.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get new shoes in there ASAP before they wear the drums unevenly to match them being worn unevenly. I'm also a believer in changing pads/shoes when you change rotors/drums.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
I've always been of the understanding that shoes/pads will wear into the drum. I've replaced rotors without replacing pads and drums without replacing shoes and never had a problem... Until the shoe wore out and fawked up an almost new drum with 20-30k on it. I was too broke when I replaced drums for even the cheap $20 shoes.

Edit: if the shoe has huge noticeable grooves replace it. If looks pretty smooth I would run it in a bind.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
The shoes are so cheap,why take a chance. Have a feeling it's the drums though.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
That's pretty much what I thought. I had changed the drums back to the old ones till I knew more. I'll get some pads and do the whole job. A shame since there is so much left on the pads but that's the miser in me.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it can be painful... Get some that have a lifetime warranty on them. No they're not the best pads but they stop me just fine and you can just replace whenever. I roll on Oreilly brakebest select currently, just replaced them a few months ago since I warped my rotors. It eases the pain of replacing stuff with lots of life left when it only costs you time
Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
JJ04TACO will become famous soon enoughJJ04TACO will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
JJ04TACO's Tacoma Gallery
New drums, new shoes. If the surfaces are not mating correctly you will develop hot spots. This warps drums and glazes shoes. Same with pads and rotors.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Doing the job this week. I'll report back on my success or failure. 1st time doing drum brakes. Wish me luck...