1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Muffler & tailpipe needed

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Petrol, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:17 AM
    Petrol

Petrol [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The muffler/tailpipe assembly on my 2003 Tacoma access cab has finally succumbed to the rust. There's a flange just to the rear of the catalytic converter and it's all one piece from that point back. I can cut the bolts at the flange and separate it there.
    I think I can save the down-stream O2 sensor and fit it to the new pipe. Is that worth doing?
    What's the best source for the muffler/tailpipe assembly?

I don't need stainless steel, loud mufflers, chrome tips or any other bells and whistles; I just want a complete assembly that fits and doesn't cost much.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:26 AM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I can't believe I'm the only Tacoma owner that has ever needed to replace exhaust components.

3. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    zach141b

zach141b Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2001, double cab, 4WD, 3.4L Tacoma
    Are OEM parts out of the question, dollar-wise?

4. Jul 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    Mine was rusted through just past the exhaust so I cut that part out with a sawzall.

Specifically to your question, cheap route would be to get a cat-back from Rock Auto or similar site that sells OEM-like cat-back systems. Beyond that, you're into aftermarket bolt on or a muffler shop for custom work.

As for the O2 sensor, those nuts are oftentimes rusted solid and seized. If its too much of a hassle, just get a new one.

5. Jul 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    A cat-back system would be fine. it's a bolt on affair once the old one is removed. I believe I can cut the nuts off of the O2 sensor and refit it to the new pipe. That shouldn't be too difficult once the pipe is off the truck.

Does anyone have any experience with the Rock Auto units or have other sources that have proven to be a good replacement?

6. Jul 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma

I haven't priced the OEM part but I think it would be expensive if it had "Toyota" stamped on it.

7. Jul 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    zach141b

zach141b Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2001, double cab, 4WD, 3.4L Tacoma
    No doubt you're correct, but sometimes OEM is the right answer if you don't wish to modify and you intend (as I do) to run it "forever".

Best wishes.

8. Jul 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I don't think "forever" is in my truck's future but I'd like to get the most life for the least amount of money and work !!!

9. Jul 19, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    So I ended up buying a muffler and pipe from the local NAPA store. It was significantly cheaper than the on-line sources even before shipping.

The total cost out the door for everything including; muffler with tail pipe, intermediate pipe, U clamp, gaskets (2) and ALL hardware - $124.00.

Took about two hours to remove the old exhaust from the catalytic converter back and install the new parts. That was working on the ground. I managed to save the old O2 sensor by cutting the nuts off with a dremel tool and a chisel. I just cut the bolts at the flange at the rear of the converter. There was no way those were going to be saved. Tip: remove the spare tire.

Fired it up and let the oil/labels,etc. burn off. Looks & sounds good!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. Aug 1, 2014 at 4:05 AM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    When I work on exhaust I just assume everything is going to break and I have a plan based on that assumption. Just make sure you have room to work with your plan.

11. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    Petrol

Member:
    Central Va.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    UPDATE & OBSERVATIONS:

When the pipe/muffler was new it still had the oil on it from the manufacturing process. I think they lube the pipe before bending it. The muffler and pipes were aluminized like most cheaper exhaust components but I wanted to hold the rust at bay, or at least try.

Immediately after installing the pipe I ran the truck for about 15 minutes to burn off all the oil on the pipes/muffler. I then used high temp paint to paint all of the new components. About 2 months and a 1000 + miles later, It seems to be holding up well. I don't know how much the paint will help in the long run but it seems to be holding up well for now.

One tip if you are thinking about painting new exhaust components. Use a solvent to degrease the pipes/muffler and paint the TOP side of the pipes before installing. You can't get a spray can up there after the exhaust is installed ! The bottom side is easy to paint after you burn off the oil.

I'm a cheap bastard and will not spend the money to put stainless steel under a truck. However if the high temp paint buys me a few more years, that $8 rattle can may turn out to be a good investment. YMMV.

Products Discussed in

To Top