1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting my taco build, need some good help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Camrand, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jul 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    Camrand

Camrand [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    New Hampshire
    I have a 2002 tacoma no mod or fancy stuff...yet, but i dont know where to start. Planned mods will be lifting it 4"-5", deck plate mod, new bigger tires, AP off road pack rack, and topper tent.

One thing im looking to do right off the the bat is new tires. For now im rockin some stock rims with almost bald tires so thats a must right now. I plan on painting the rims black and taking the logo plate off.

So My first question is what are the biggest tires i can do stock with no rub and minimal modding. i have 265/70r16 tires. Also any suggestions on the other stuff i want to would be greatly appreciated

2. Jul 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    JayDub

JayDub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Pendleton, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    What you will be doing with your truck depends on how you want to build it...

Sounds like an expedition/overland type build with the tent topper, etc. Maybe a bed rack similar what Box Rocket has on his doublecab (which looks awesome btw). New winch bumper up front w/ additional lighting.

If your planning on adding additional weight on your truck, IMO Old Man Emu suspension is the way to go. They provide an excellent ride, different spring options depending on how much weight you have on the front of your truck. Billstein 5100 adjustable struts are another option, but they will not provide the 4"-5" of lift you listed.

265/75/16 is max size w/ no lift.. they may rub slightly at full turn, but it shouldn't be much of an issue. I'm running Toyo AT2s with no difficulties, but depending on tread lugs, results may vary.

Plan out what you want to do with your truck.. don't just start throwing money at it and hope for the best.

Products Discussed in

To Top