Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics

Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Deere9798 is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
Deere9798's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics

Hello. New member here. While trying to replace my left front wheel bearing on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl 5spd 4x4 ... I could not get the bolt out of the upper control arm. If anyone has experienced this issue I would value your input.

Thanks,
Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics-img_2289.jpg   Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics-img_2285.jpg   Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics-img_2286.jpg   Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics-img_2288.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
You need to have some weight on the ball joint. Thread the nut on a bit but leave it loose, then with a BFH hit the control arm as hard as you can.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Thanks for the quick replies...

You need to have some weight on the ball joint. Thread the nut on a bit but leave it loose, then with a BFH hit the control arm as hard as you can.

Where should I hit on the upper control arm?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Right around the ball joint stud. Just be careful to not hit anything else.

Side note, Oscar (User_Name01) mentioned the correct method. But the hammer usually works for those types of situations. (lower ball joint, outer tie rod end, etc)
Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Take a BFH and swing upward at the lip of the control arm. Should come out pretty easy, if it doesn't, hit it with some heat, than repeat.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Thanks Brett, Is the bolt welded to the upper control arm?, or if not how is it held?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #8

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky Penguin View Post
Take a BFH and swing upward at the lip of the control arm. Should come out pretty easy, if it doesn't, hit it with some heat, than repeat.
Only problem with heat is it may melt the ball joint boot. Kind of risky if you want to reuse it.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's your upper ball joint, which is press fit into the spindle from the bottom. What you're trying to do is seperate the ball joint from the UCA.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
So, is the balljoint attached the bolt?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the ball joint and the bolt are one and the same.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Yes, the ball joint and the bolt are one and the same.
Thanks, that cleared it up. Since i have tried laying on it with a 5lb sledge I think a balljoint separator is needed.

Where do I place the the two jaws of the separator?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
TacoLlama is on a distinguished road
TacoLlama's Tacoma Gallery
Soak that thing with some penetrating oil.Grab your largest hammer in your box and smack the upper control arm near where the stud is.X marks the spot.If you have a friend around you can put a bar between the UCA and the arm the ball joint is on.The shock from smacking and the pressure from the prybar will cause it to break free.

Trouble Removing Bolt From Upper Control Arm With Pics-joint.jpg
Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLlama View Post
Soak that thing with some penetrating oil.Grab your largest hammer in your box and smack the upper control arm near where the stud is.X marks the spot.If you have a friend around you can put a bar between the UCA and the arm the ball joint is on.The shock from smacking and the pressure from the prybar will cause it to break free.

Attachment 281379
Thanks for your input.
Will do. If / When it works I will follow up with the results.

To All: Thanks for the asssistance
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Wedge a 5' steel bar between the top of the spindle (the little shoulder that sticks out) and the upper control arm. Put some weight on the end of the bar and it should pop free. Thread the nut slightly on to keep it from coming out and possibly straining other parts.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
I talked to a local mechanic after failing to remove it with a large sledgehammer and he recommended I use a pickle fork...does this sound like a good idea?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #19

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere9798 View Post
I talked to a local mechanic after failing to remove it with a large sledgehammer and he recommended I use a pickle fork...does this sound like a good idea?
It will probably ruin the ball joint. Old one would have to be pressed out of the spindle and a new one pressed in.
Grab one of those pullers everyone has posted pics of.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
"young Brett"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere9798 View Post
Pickle forks are great for removing ball joints. But agreed, will more than likely ruin the ball joint, well, at least the boot.