1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front suspension question... changing lifts.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Murph, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    Murph

Murph [OP] Go Pack Go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fox Valley, WI
    Vehicle:
    2000 Extra Cab TRD O/R
    3" lift. American racing 15'' rims. 33x12.50 BFG A/T tires. tool box. ARB bumper, mile marker winch, kc highlights. No carpet inside sprayed with bed liner. Kicker door speakers. Alpine head unit.
    I bought my truck with this lift all ready installed. I'm going to replace it now with icon coil overs. My question is what can I do about this spindle lift? The ball joint is actually built into this lift... I need to replace all this because I literally can't replace the ball joints since there built into that black spacer piece there. Like I said I'm switching over to icon coil overs but what can I do about the rest of this previously installed lift?

IMG_20140720_181431.jpg

2. Jul 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I had that exact same lift in my 99 Tacoma. Yes the ball joint is inside the spacer but it can be removed and replaced. Separate the upper A arm from the ball joint, remove the dust boot , clean grease , remove the C clip at the top of the spacer and the ball joint will drop down inside the spacer . You will have to wiggle it out of the hole in the back of the spacer. This is a 4in. procomp lift. You can go to there website and down load the install instructions to give you a better idea of how the lift go's together.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. Jul 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Wow I bet your gonna love the ride after the install of the icons, especially compared to that 4" (?) spacer lift. It looks like the braket that extends the spindle is bolted on. Hopefully you can just remove it then press out the Upper ball joint which should remove the spacer as well. Are you getting the ext. travel icons? If so you'll need the uniball UCA's, so you could just remove the stock UCA's instead of having to press out the old upper ball joints.

4. Jul 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Murph

Murph [OP] Go Pack Go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fox Valley, WI
    Vehicle:
    2000 Extra Cab TRD O/R
    3" lift. American racing 15'' rims. 33x12.50 BFG A/T tires. tool box. ARB bumper, mile marker winch, kc highlights. No carpet inside sprayed with bed liner. Kicker door speakers. Alpine head unit.
    Ah thank you for clearing all that up I literally had no idea what brand of lift this was. I did remove the spacer and remove the dust boot and c-clip. I then had the spacer out completely in a clamp and even with a snap on master ball joint puller I couldn't get the ball joint out. Since I'm switching to coil overs I wont even bother to mess with it again. Thanks for all the information tho!

5. Jul 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    Murph

Murph [OP] Go Pack Go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fox Valley, WI
    Vehicle:
    2000 Extra Cab TRD O/R
    Yea I was planning on getting the extended travel so I can replace everything :D. I can't stand that spacer lift!

6. Jul 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I ran the spacer on the stock spindle for about a year after installing the kit . Then I got the spindle's out of the tuff country 5in. lift kit and replaced the whole thing. It was bullet proof. If your wanting to remove the whole procomp kit , keep in mind that they more then likely cut your frame. I'm not to clear on what your wanting to accomplish. Hope this helps .

Products Discussed in

To Top