1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension lift question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yotaman98, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Jul 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    Yotaman98

Yotaman98 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, SR5, TRD
    3 inch lift, k&n intake, flow master dual flow exhaust, and Mickey Thompson wheels with Goodyear tires.
    Ok so I have three inch blocks in the rear on my tacoma and blistein shocks in the front and I was looking for a little more lift, but I don't want to spend money on a whole new kit. I have two add-a-leaf's in the garage from the purchase of my truck and was wondering would it hurt to add a leaf on top of a block and then a leveling kit on top of my blistein shocks in the front, or would that be too Jerry rigged for the whole setup?:confused:

2. Jul 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    I don't see how adding an AAL will hurt something that is already on blocks? Just make sure your drive shaft angle is proper and make sure you have long enough shocks for how high the rear is (also BPV and brake lines should be taken into consideration..) Are you on spacers up front too?? or what coils are you using w/ the billys up front?

3. Jul 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    Yotaman98

Yotaman98 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3 inch lift, k&n intake, flow master dual flow exhaust, and Mickey Thompson wheels with Goodyear tires.
    It's not spacers in the front it's just a longer shock and coil I believe, it was already like that when I got it

4. Jul 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    well if all you have up front is coils and shocks then you should be fine w/ adding the leveling spacer for up front.

Personally id suggest looking into a new leaf pack since you already have the coil overs up front. Just my .02
    I do understand though it seems like your trying to use stuff you already have.

5. Jul 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    Yotaman98

Yotaman98 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yea thanks for the input, I guess I need to decide between the cheap way and the right way.

6. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    If he has 3" blocks in the rear ,my guess is that the front with the coils and shocks are level...
    So no you cant add a spacer lift most lift you can have on the front is 3" cv angle can't handle more.
    so take out the blocks and add the add a leaf or just keep the blocks.

Just my 2 cents

7. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    He doesn't want spacers up front though... He wants to put a 1/4" leveling spacer to eliminate the taco lean.. Who knows if he wants to be level or not but you don't HAVE to be level.. An aal will not give more than an inch or so of lift in the rear.. He is Rollin on stock leafs btw..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. Jul 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    Yotaman98

Yotaman98 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yea it's all level now with no spacers up front ( just a longer shock) , all I want is to get more height with a aal. i already have them laying around on so i figured put them on top of a block, and only have to buy a leveling kit to even it all out resulting in around an inch and a half more lift for cheap.....If that makes any sense.

9. Jul 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Not really 100% sure i understand what you are trying to do with these leveling spacers.. i dunno if you know or not but here is what the spacers are for:

The leveling spacer is only to level the front passenger side with the front driver side. Typically the spacer is about 1/4" thick and only lifts ONE side about 1/4" - 1/2". Our tacomas OEM shocks are side specific and one is longer than the other to compensate for the lean. The aftermarket shocks are all the same length which means we have to adjust the shocks with spacers or coil overs to compensate for the tacoma lean.

So basically I'm just trying to say your truck will have a little rake if you put the aal because you should not take the front any higher than it already is. you can put the leveling spacer but that won't give you the 1.5" of lift you want.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  10. Jul 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    Yotaman98

Yotaman98 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    No I am thinking about the kit you buy that has two 2 or 3 inch spacers that go on top of the shock to bring the whole front of the truck up and bring it up around two inches.

11. Jul 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    thats not a leveling kit actually. thats a spacer kit.

Cant do that end of story. Sorry bro.

I don't recommend it but you could do a drop bracket kit for a couple G's. Other than that the lifts start getting more technical and more expensive. for example Solid axle swap/conversion.

If you are just dying to get 3 more inches of lift you could get 3" body lift. But i also don't recommend that.

12. Jul 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    Thats what I was talking about Preston. Sounds like he's wanting to stack lifts in the front.

If he is level with tje rear woth 3" he cant go any higher on the front without a db lift or sas

13. Jul 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    yea didn't realize it because he was saying leveling kit. Sorry for doubting you lol.

x2

options are drop bracket or solid axle.

I wonder if you can achieve 6" lift with long travel?

14. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    Yotaman98

Yotaman98 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yea sorry for the confusion, I just found my exhaust has a hole in it where a mounting bracket broke, so suspension is on the back burner. Thanks for the patience and help!

Products Discussed in

To Top