1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket windshields? Recommendations?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by james, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jul 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    james

james [OP] In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    I've got to replace my Alaskan-Cracked windshield - no surprise - and am wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the quality of replacement glass. It won't be as good as original factory glass, but has anyone noticed any difference between aftermarket suppliers?

2. Jul 25, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    WiscTaco

WiscTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Sr5 Trd 23.42 mpg
    Grey Wire, AFE Pro Dry S
    While working at a glass company that installed countless windshields etc. We always had great outcomes with PPG. Great glass. I don't know if you plan on doing this yourself, but if not. Some companies such as Safelite have a different glass supplier. The price will be more for PPG. However the proof is in the glass. Also make sure they're using a good caulk/urethane. A well reputable company for caulk is CRLaurence.

Hope this helps.

3. Nov 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM
    james

james [OP] In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    Thanks! I just ended up taking it to SpeedyAutoGlass. It will inevitably crack (this is Alaska, after all), and I will wail and gnash my teeth. In time I'll have to get it replaced again. I'll look for someone using PPG. Good advice!

4. Nov 17, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    All I can say is don't use whatever Safelite uses. Totally sucks. I'm not going to use them again.

5. Nov 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    the shops down here all use PPG and don't even want to install other brands because they are cheap crap, they will if you request it but they tell you up front they wont warranty it. we have a lot of rocks and gravel all over the roads down here so cracks and chips in the windshield is just part of life and those other glass will just spider across the whole glass rather then chip or just have a small crack.

they tell me PPG is a quality glass and as close to having a full on OEM factory replacement glass as they can get

6. Nov 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    jkulysses

jkulysses Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma 4x4 3.4l 5 spd
    PPG is actually the oem manufacturer for many auto companies. I know they are for Honda & wouldn't be surprised if they made Toyotas as well. Good glass & the only one I'll use other than stock.

7. Nov 19, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    I replaced my original windshield with 90k miles on it at the time because it was pitted do badly i had difficulty seeing in direct sunlight or at night facing oncoming traffic. Used AAA and within 8-10months its just as bad as the original.

8. Nov 19, 2014 at 6:11 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Safe Light put glass in my VW when I looked at it, it had no 3rd visor. Called the shop manager he said mine never came with a 3rd visor we went around and around for about a week. I went to the VW dealer and had the parts gal show me the VW glass yep sure enough had the 3rd visor sent the glass shop guy up to see it bottom line they had to eat the cheap Chinese glass and the cost of the glass from the dealer was less than what Safe Light charged the insurance Co. by a good $50. The insurance Co. get big discounts from Safe Light but you can tell them you don't want Safe Light to do the job.

Products Discussed in

To Top