1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 Double Cab with Blown Motor

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by travist185, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    travist185

travist185 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey I am looking at buying my first tacoma and I need some help determining if its a good deal.

Its a 2003 4x4 double cab with 110k miles, SR5, TRD with a blown motor. They are asking $7k. Its a pretty nice truck with a good frame and no rust other than the rear bumper. Is this worth buying at $7k?

I have the time and the ability to install a new/used engine in my garage…

Thank you all in advance!

Travis

2. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Is it the v6?

It will be impossible to determine if the auto trans is in good shape or not since you can't drive it.

Even if it has a clean title (no salvage) that price is only good if the trans is in perfect condition.

I've seen reman 3.4Ls go for $2500-3000.

If it was me, I'd offer less. Maybe $5,000.

3. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Yeah there are other things that could be wrong that without an engine, you can't check. Digiratus is right where I would be on this.GL

4. Jul 24, 2014 at 2:54 AM
    travist185

travist185 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. It is a V6. It was a dealer trade-in. A family was vacationing from NJ in our area when the motor let go. They just bought a new truck and kept on vacationing. Don't know if this proves that the trans is good but if it got this far it might be ok. Are the transmissions problematic on these trucks?

5. Jul 24, 2014 at 4:11 AM
    travelfeet

travelfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Troy, NY
    Vehicle:
    02 xtra 4x4 v6
    for a Toyota V6 to "just let go" seems unlikely, especially at 110k... Spend some time on this site and you'll see lots of examples at 250k.... so why did this happen, and without warning? I would be concerned about a lack of maintenance which means the trans could be crap, and who know what else on the truck. Catastrophic failures happen, but I would want to know exactly what broke. In regard to price, I would take purchase price, add the cost of my labor (always more than you think) and the cost of a new motor (plus trans?) and compare that total to buying a good example outright in your market.

I would want to come out way ahead in that equation to consider taking on the risk.

Maybe its just me, but if my vehicle imploded on vacation (had that happen due to a traffic accident), I would get a rental. Immediately buying a new car without shopping around/taking time to negotiate seems to guarantee that you just made the salesman's day. You might assume a few more things about a person that would do that. Admittedly I am operating on very little information, but its what you gave us. Not to mention I am a cheap bastard.

Is there any service history? could you get a warrantee on the existing transmission and rest of the vehicle? Those details might help make the decision.

Even at half the price I would not jump on this deal (though I would be more interested)

Let us know how this proceeds.

6. Jul 24, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    I'm with Mike.

I've been looking myself. Out west, 1st gens with running motors go for about 10-15k. Back east, I see the 7-12k range. 5k to me would be about what I'd top out for on a project truck, especially being back east.

7. Jul 24, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    I would say no. Save a little more money for something with a functional engine

8. Jul 24, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    mustangstephen

mustangstephen raise hell, drink beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    by da creek
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Homebrew bumpers and sliders, 5100s & Eibachs up front and mutt leaf pack out back, 285s & Wheelers type B, sway bar deleted. Wife's ride: 01 4Runner 4wd sport. Stock with exception of TRD taco coils, and shift kit.
    I'm in the $5,000 club also. Not worth the risk of more wrong above that.

Products Discussed in

To Top